Kaiju Speaker Capacity

Emoreigns · 1032

Offline Emoreigns

on: November 22, 2023, 06:22:44 AM
What kind of speakers can the Kaiju run? 8 Watts per channel does not sound like a lot? Kind of a noob here; so perhaps I am missing something-

Is the Kaiju meant for some special low powered speakers or something? My dad passed down some old Bose 65 Watt speakers that I was hoping about hooking up to the Kaiju and starting my Loudspeaker chain now that I finished my Crack build..

If anyone could help clarify the Speaker Capacity of the Kaiju; I sure would appreciate it!

Thanks-

~Happy Listening

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 06:50:36 AM
For ages we would go by the rule that you want to get to 102dB or so of output, so that would land you on a speaker that's about 93dB at 8 ohms/2.83V.  Then we had a long stretch where people were using 87dB sensitive Fostex based speakers with our 3.5W Stereomour integrated with pretty good satisfaction, so that previous recommendation went out the window a little bit (despite being based on very sound principles).

The other considerations for loudspeakers would be the impedance curve of the speakers themselves (observing whether there are generous low dips that would cause one to wire the amp for a lower impedance speaker), how large your room is, and what you listen to. 

Having said all that, you can get good results from a wide range of pretty common and easily found speakers.  If you post the model number of your Bose speakers, we can look into how suitable those might be, but there are decent speaker kits and used speakers floating around for less than $200 that can work well, and our Pipette speaker will cooperate nicely with a 300B amp if you have a spare sub available to pair with it.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 08:22:23 AM
Thanks for the help again Paul- 

I will post the model number for the Bose speakers later once I'm back from work. And I do have a couple subs around my house. Building the speakers seems like another cool/ fun project as well!

~Happy Listening

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 02:24:45 PM
Read about the Pipette 'build', which consists(once one has finished the wood parts) of using the provided fasteners to bolt the whole thing together! Takes a few minutes.

Cheers, Hank

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 08:32:20 AM
The Bose speakers that I have are the Bose 6.2 Stereo Everywhere Speakers 1985- Right & Left Channel

I attached the spec sheet for the 6.2's- If you'll could help me out and let me know if the Prebee 2 and Kaju combo can power/drive these speakers effectively?

These speakers have been sitting around collecting dust for years since my receiver blew up- I was hoping to maybe revive them once I finish building my Prebee and Kaju. Ahhh Rainy day ponderings....

Appreciate the help as always everyone + Happy Listening!

~Happy Listening

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 09:27:07 AM
That brochure is very sparse on specs. But it says use 10-100 watts. Kaiju puts out about 9, which is plenty close to 10. So it should work fine. The speakers are designated 4 ohms nominal, so wire the Kaiju output transformers accordingly.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 10:38:52 AM
Oh fantastic Doc- Ya I couldn't dig up any more detailed info that that- These are some old speakers my old man passed down to me...

But it looks like these are at 4 ohms nominal which is the same as the pipette speaker kit you sell- I was thinking about perhaps building those as well, so it seems either way I go it will work if I have the Kaiju output transformers wired for 4 ohms nominal :)

Is that a correct assumption Doc?

Thanks again for all the help you, Paul, and the others on this forum provide-

-EE

~Happy Listening

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 07:13:27 AM
Yup, wiring the output transformers for 4 ohms will work well with either speaker.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Emoreigns

Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 05:14:48 AM
Fantastic- Then that is exactly what I will do Doc!-

Thank you sir-

-EE

~Happy Listening