Bottlehead Kits > Kaiju Stereo 300B amp

Kaiju Speaker Capacity

(1/2) > >>

Emoreigns:
What kind of speakers can the Kaiju run? 8 Watts per channel does not sound like a lot? Kind of a noob here; so perhaps I am missing something-

Is the Kaiju meant for some special low powered speakers or something? My dad passed down some old Bose 65 Watt speakers that I was hoping about hooking up to the Kaiju and starting my Loudspeaker chain now that I finished my Crack build..

If anyone could help clarify the Speaker Capacity of the Kaiju; I sure would appreciate it!

Thanks-

Paul Birkeland:
For ages we would go by the rule that you want to get to 102dB or so of output, so that would land you on a speaker that's about 93dB at 8 ohms/2.83V.  Then we had a long stretch where people were using 87dB sensitive Fostex based speakers with our 3.5W Stereomour integrated with pretty good satisfaction, so that previous recommendation went out the window a little bit (despite being based on very sound principles).

The other considerations for loudspeakers would be the impedance curve of the speakers themselves (observing whether there are generous low dips that would cause one to wire the amp for a lower impedance speaker), how large your room is, and what you listen to. 

Having said all that, you can get good results from a wide range of pretty common and easily found speakers.  If you post the model number of your Bose speakers, we can look into how suitable those might be, but there are decent speaker kits and used speakers floating around for less than $200 that can work well, and our Pipette speaker will cooperate nicely with a 300B amp if you have a spare sub available to pair with it.

Emoreigns:
Thanks for the help again Paul- 

I will post the model number for the Bose speakers later once I'm back from work. And I do have a couple subs around my house. Building the speakers seems like another cool/ fun project as well!

Hank Murrow:
Read about the Pipette 'build', which consists(once one has finished the wood parts) of using the provided fasteners to bolt the whole thing together! Takes a few minutes.

Cheers, Hank

Emoreigns:
The Bose speakers that I have are the Bose 6.2 Stereo Everywhere Speakers 1985- Right & Left Channel

I attached the spec sheet for the 6.2's- If you'll could help me out and let me know if the Prebee 2 and Kaju combo can power/drive these speakers effectively?

These speakers have been sitting around collecting dust for years since my receiver blew up- I was hoping to maybe revive them once I finish building my Prebee and Kaju. Ahhh Rainy day ponderings....

Appreciate the help as always everyone + Happy Listening!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version