First step build done, it sounds awesome, more to come!

xavhan · 706

Offline xavhan

on: November 28, 2023, 10:11:29 AM
Hello folks and fellow enthousiasts
Im starting my new Stereomour Kit, (not a first timer, but never encountered issues with the previous kits).

I attached the power transformer, output transformers, chokes and plugs and started with the first solder joins.

I need to measure the output of my power and the result seems really weird. Im in France so it should be around 220V and my reading is sometimes around 60/63V sometimes close to 0.

I think everything is in order in the wiring/soldering, there is almost nothing and there is no falty wiring, an electrician came to my house and checked that everything was ok with my sockets. So im wondering if my multimeter is ok (it reads the resistances fine) or the cable, or maybe the electrical plug on the chassis ?

Im a bit frustrated because i feel like a noob and i dont know what to do. So before buying a new multimeter i came for some advices.

Thanks in avance !

Xavier

« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 02:20:28 AM by xavhan »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 10:13:05 AM
It's pretty easy to put the fuse into the wrong part of the fuse holder, so double check that.  You can double check your meter by trying to measure the wall voltage directly. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 10:20:12 AM
PB is right on, try measuring the voltage of your wall outlet with your meter. Also be sure your meter is set to AC volts and not DC volts.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xavhan

Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 10:58:28 AM
Oh my god that was it, i inserted the fuse in the wrong part of the fuse holder, I feel so dumb and so relieved!
Thanks a lot folks, ill keep you posted of my advancement!

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 11:40:11 AM
On a side note, the grounds soldered to the safety ground tab need a lot more heat. Note how crusty they look, they should look shiny
and flowed out. Are you using rosin core leaded solderor lead free solder?

Lee R.

Offline xavhan

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 09:41:51 PM
yeah they are not nice, probably not enough heat, ill redo them

here is the solder that im using, i hope its ok, it was a hard to find, hope that im not mistaken

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 04:48:17 AM
That's good that you have leaded solder.  If you have a temperature control on your soldering station, I'd just crank it all the way up.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline xavhan

Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 12:29:27 AM
Some good news !
After this dumb fuse issue everything went really well and here is my step one

Internal, external and in condition ;)

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 03:50:38 AM
Sweet!

Paul Joppa

Offline hmbscott

Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 03:15:09 PM
Congrats! Nice system. I just got confirmation that my Stereomour kit has shipped. I'm looking forward to joining the club.

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers
Moreplay 2nd out >> [Crack + Speedball > HD 650]

Offline sl-15

Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 05:13:56 AM
Nicely done! How do you like your DJR 400?

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline xavhan

Reply #11 on: December 20, 2023, 09:21:00 PM
It has been 8 or 9 years that I got it, and I think it is still the (not so) secret touch of the overall system sound.
It is stunning to see how much it improves dynamics for a less than 2 kg box. Not only that, but it is also a pleasure to use.