Bottlehead Kits > Smack

Smack channel imbalance. [resolved]

(1/2) > >>

loudneighbor:
I got a Smack amp from a friend of mine and hooked it up tonight, I functions but there is a noticeable channel imbalance, the left channel is ever so slightly lower than the right. I swapped the tubes, no change, i have tried a different cable same issue. My other amp sounds fine so it's not my source. I read a few other threads with similar issues but for different amps. Aside from this issue it sounds very smooth I could get used to it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul Birkeland:
Are the switches on the impedance selector boards inside the amp set to the same settings?

loudneighbor:
Yes they are, and an update, I got the imbalance with two different headphones. Tried my HD800s and it has all but disappeared. It still is there but my brain doesn't flag it instantly and demand i find a balance knob somewhere.

Also is there any documentation on this kit? I'd like to read up on what the different settings for the output switches do.

I've played with the switches if I set it to sw1 hi sw2 Lo there is no imbalance, if i flip 1 to low and 2 to hi or both to hi i get the imbalance.

Paul Birkeland:
Is that good channel balance with SW1 HI and SW2 LO on both channels?  The BAL/UNBAL will also create a channel imbalance if they aren't the same between sides.

Your friend hopefully has the build manual for you.  If not, they are available for purchase from us. 

loudneighbor:
 Yes the settings are the same for both channels. I don't believe he does have the paperwork anymore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version