Help: Voltage Check on Speedball Install - values OK?

mchuckp · 906

Offline mchuckp

on: January 14, 2024, 07:41:32 AM
I completed my Crack build a little over a week ago and everything checked out and I have been using it w out a problem every day for many hours.  I just started the Speedball upgrade.  I installed the small circuit board as instructed and got the voltages below.
OA: 103 then a recheck after a few minutes of 99.  Few min after that it was 98.
IA: 167
BAB:0
IB: 167
OB: 85

The manual says that OA should be 60-90 +/-10% which would be 99 max.  It did get down there after being on several minutes.  All the LEDs are lit and the tubes glow.  I followed the flow chart and checked R1 and got 167.  I was confused on what I should see here.  I also checked pins A2 & A7 on the 9 pin tube socket and got zero.

Based on these voltages, is everything ok with OA or should I check something else?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 07:54:33 AM
Can you post a photo of the board as you have it built?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mchuckp

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 08:13:26 AM
Can you post a photo of the board as you have it built?

Thanks.  Let me know if this is the right angle.

Offline mchuckp

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 08:14:27 AM
Here's another....

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 08:19:20 AM
I would reheat the joints on Q1 and Q2 on the offending side of the PC board just to be sure.  On Q1 specifically, I can see on the top side that the solder hasn't been adequately heated. 

If the solder joint on A5 isn't 100% solid, that could also produce the problem you're experiencing.

If both of these efforts don't result in a downward migration of voltage, you can continue with the rest of the Speedball upgrade, but it's certainly something to keep an eye on. 

I do not see a difference in the R1 resistor color codes, so I suspect they are OK.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline mchuckp

Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 08:40:46 AM
I would reheat the joints on Q1 and Q2 on the offending side of the PC board just to be sure.  On Q1 specifically, I can see on the top side that the solder hasn't been adequately heated. 

If the solder joint on A5 isn't 100% solid, that could also produce the problem you're experiencing.

If both of these efforts don't result in a downward migration of voltage, you can continue with the rest of the Speedball upgrade, but it's certainly something to keep an eye on. 

I do not see a difference in the R1 resistor color codes, so I suspect they are OK.

Thanks Paul.  Just to make sure I'm 100% clear, you are referring to where the PN2907A transistors go at Q1A and Q1B, correct?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 10:15:07 AM
You need to resolder the joints for the MJE350 and PN2907 on that side.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline mchuckp

Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 06:30:31 AM
You need to resolder the joints for the MJE350 and PN2907 on that side.

Paul,

I resoldered parts several times and it doesn't seem to be helping too much.  Currently I am getting:
OA: 96.5
IA:169.4
BAB: 0
IB: 169.7
OB: 82.7

That being said, when I first turn the amp on and check it the values are a little higher and then they start to drift a bit.  Ex. My QA was around 101 when I first turned it on.  It slowly dropped to 96.5 over maybe 5-10 min.  My OB started around 85 and dropped to the 82.7. 

I'm attaching some more pix of my soldering job top and bottom side if you see anything that stands out and have anything else for me to check.
Couple questions:
1. Is the drift I see normal?
2. Could have I damaged a part (or got a bad part)?
3. Should OA and OB read about the same?
4. Based on my pix, anything else I should try again?  Would it help to add solder from the top side too?
5. What is the potential consequences of leaving it alone?

Thanks!
Mike

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 01:13:43 PM
Adding solder from the other side of the board isn't helpful.  What was required is holding the iron on the solder joints on the bottom side of the board until it flows through to the other side.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline mchuckp

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 10:07:21 AM
Paul,

Took me a bit to get back to this.  I spent today desoldering the black resistors and putting on new solder trying to be sure I got adequate heat and flow.  During the process, I broke 4 out of 5 of the red/black/white wires coming from the terminal strip they are attached to just from bending back and forth.  So I de-soldered those and replaced the wires.  Mounted everything back on the screws and tested again.  Unfortunately my results aren't much different. 

OA: 98.5 (if I wait 10 min it goes to 95).
IA: 172
BAB: 0
IB: 172
OB: 82

Anything else I should try?  Am I really this bad at soldering those black resistors?  Is it accurate that I should get the same value if I check the DC at 1U (Terminal strip) that leads to OA?  I did.  I also confirmed that pins A2 and A7 on the tube socket read 0.  Any reason to think a tube is causing this?  Should I check something else?  Redo something again?  Or accept the results and finish the build?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: January 25, 2024, 01:39:30 PM
Can you carefully measure the DC voltages at A3 and A8?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline mchuckp

Reply #11 on: January 25, 2024, 01:55:17 PM
Can you carefully measure the DC voltages at A3 and A8?

I am getting 1.5 for both of them.  The LEDs are lit up.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: January 26, 2024, 04:44:06 AM
I'd be inclined to just run it and not worry too much.  I suspect a different 12AU7 may pull those values down slightly, but it's not the end of the world.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline mchuckp

Reply #13 on: February 02, 2024, 11:28:43 AM
Paul,

Well my saga has not ended with the speedball upgrade.  I followed your advice and went on with the build as you suggested above.  I just completed the rest of it.  I tested the resistance at OA and OB and my meter kept going to "1" so it was off the scale of my meter.  Per your instructions, I moved on to check the voltage and they were all well above the range you provided.
OA=253
OB=269
G=0
B+=413
All LEDs were lit. 

Are these high numbers a result of the high readings I got on the first board or caused by something different?  Something I should check or go with it?

Frustrated,
Mike

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2024, 05:12:12 PM
The 413V at B+ means that you have a black wire in your amp that's not well soldered.  The most common cause for this exact issue is the two black wires that meet at the headphone jack, and we will often find that one there is not captured by solder.

Paul "PB" Birkeland