Quickie 1.1 Measurements Wrong (updated)

royewest · 178

Offline royewest

on: February 18, 2024, 05:53:41 PM
Quickie 1.1 (UPDATED - still no love but I was measuring wrong)

Dear Bottlehead Friends

A decade later, I finally built my Quickie 1.1 (gave my Quickie 1.0 to my kid for his dorm room so he can spin vinyl — knows how to get to his dad’s heart).

I spent way too many years trying to figure out how to do things like move the knobs off the top, the RCAs to the back, add a pair of inbound RCAs, use the Alps pot and fancy caps I got for it when I first bought the kit, and of course the most pressing question: what enclosure.

In the end I didn’t do any of that: I just built it into the box I’d been planning all along. The only difference is that I mounted directly to the top of the box instead of to the plastic chassis plate and put the batteries inside the box.

I’m attaching a picture of how pretty it turned out. But it’s also got something very wrong with it.

Some things first:

* I used those nifty screw-terminal power plugs to make it easy to separate the amp from the batteries. Later I will twist the power wires, but after it works. The correct voltages arrive at the terminals where the 3 power lines come in.

* I have gone over everything at least twice, walking through the instructions and checking the connections, re-soldering joins, looking closely at all the connections through a strong magnifying glass, comparing to the finished pic in the manual, and counting rotary switch numbers so often I can now count from 1 to 12 all on my own.

* I have two sets of tubes. Swapping doesn’t solve things.

* I have carefully ensured that the rotary switch is one click clockwise from leftmost when I test the voltages.

Clearly there’s something glaringly obvious that I’m simply not seeing.

So, here are the measurements.

Connection strip:
1: 0.L (same as leads in air)
6: 0.L
2: 0.L
7: 0.L
3: NC
8: NC
4: 1.07K ohms
9: 1.07K ohms
5: 0.1 ohms
10: 0 ohms

Rotary switch:
* 1: 0.L
* 2: 0.L
* 3: 91.3K ohms
* 4: 0.L
* 5: 0.L
* 6: 101.4K ohms
* 7: 0.L
* 8: 1.07K ohms
* 9: 1.07K ohms
* 10: 0.L
* 11: 1.07K ohms
* 12: 1.07K ohms

Pot:
* Closest to chassis B terminal 101.4K ohms (irrespective of knob position)
* Farthest from chassis B terminal 91.4K ohms (irrespective of knob position)

When I attach power, rotary switch to 1 click clockwise from full counterclockwise measurements:

* 1: 0 v
* 2: 0 v
* 3: 0 v
* 4: 0 v
* 5: 0 v
* 6: 0 v
* 7: 0 v
* 8:  3.945 v
* 9:  3.945 v
* 10: 0 v
* 11: 4.036 v
* 12: 4.036 v
* A: 0 v
* B: 0 v
* C: 3.942 v
* D: 3.942 v

I’ll note that switch terminals 1, 4, 7, 10 have no wires connected, but gosh I think this matches the manual.

I know it’s been a long time, but I’d be enormously grateful if someone could take a peek and seeing these values, instantly spot what I’ve overlooked.

Thank you,

__Roy

« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 03:21:02 AM by royewest »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 07:28:11 PM
When you have the amp on, what's the DC voltage between pins 1 and 5 on each 7 pin socket?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline royewest

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 03:28:55 AM
Hi Paul,

First, I'm embarrassed to say that I was measuring wrong. I just updated my original post.

Second, I get 0 v between pins 1 and 5 on both tube sockets.

Thank you,

__Roy

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 05:14:09 AM
What voltage does your meter show if you measure one of the D cell batteries?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline royewest

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 10:44:53 AM
1.54 v each. I've also verified that the voltage is maintained where they connect to the circuit, along with the 36 v from the 9-volt batteries.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 12:52:18 PM
Well one end of each 1.5V battery wires to each 7 pin socket, and the other is switched through the rotary switch to the 7 pin socket.  If your 1.5V DC is not appearing between pins 1 and 5 on each 7 pin socket, then you aren't successfully switching in the D cell batteries, or possibly there's some kind of short pulling their voltage down (you can probe the batteries while the preamp is on to check on that to be certain).

Paul "PB" Birkeland