Help: need to output video to computer monitor for DVD-Audio

denti alligator · 4639

Offline denti alligator

Technically this is a video question, but I thought I'd ask here instead of registering at some home theater forum. And also, technically it's an audio question, because I really only need the video in order to listen to DVD-Audio, which has menus and such that are output to a TV.

This is a shame, but at least I have a computer monitor in my listening room. So I figured I could output the video signal to the monitor, but I'm not getting a signal. First I tried an HDMI to VGA cable. No image. Then I tried a component to VGA cable. Still no image.

My Denon 2930-CI can output in all kinds of resolutions, including RGB and PC-VGA, so I don't see why I'm not getting a signal. Articles such as this one http://www.brighthub.com/electronics/home-theater/articles/40326.aspx appear to suggest that all you need to do is hook up your player to your monitor. But other online discussions suggest a TV tuner box is required. Is this so?

Perhaps my monitor is too old. It's a Samsung Sync-Master 172N.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Yoder

Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 09:04:20 AM
To the best of my understanding you cannot send video directly into a monitor. You have to go through the video card, or what I did was buy an EyeTV Hybrid that my coax connects into and then feeds into my USB port. I am using this set-up with an iMac, and it is pretty sweet having a backlit LCD monitor. The EyeTV can get pretty hot so I am using some tape and using the back of the iMac stand as one big ass heat-sink, works pretty good.

Offline dstrimbu

Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 11:36:42 AM
The Samsung is an analog monitor, and it accepts inputs via RGB or 15-pin D-Sub.  I think that you simply have a cable problem.  Component video out of the Denon should light up the Samsung - I know that you've cycled thru all of the inputs, correct?  ;-)

Offline denti alligator

Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 03:25:20 AM
The Samsung is an analog monitor, and it accepts inputs via RGB or 15-pin D-Sub.  I think that you simply have a cable problem.  Component video out of the Denon should light up the Samsung - I know that you've cycled thru all of the inputs, correct?  ;-)

Yep, cycled through all the inputs and outputs. I'm getting two different takes on this. Some some this should work, others say it's impossible. I'm at a loss, but thankfully a friend has an old "tv tuner box" that will apparently do the trick.

I still wish I knew why I can't plug directly in.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline denti alligator

Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 10:10:47 AM
Well, a friend of mine sent me this:
http://www.ap.viewsonic.com/my/product_pdfs/tvbox/E-NextVision_N4.pdf

but he didn't have the power plug for it, so I ordered one, but it smells awfully funny when I use it, so I'm very suspicious. I'm supposed to use a 12V 1.2A transformer. I ordered that and got one that outputs 12V @ 500mA. Is that the same thing? And if it is, why does this thing smell so strongly like burning plastic. (Yes, I've unplugged it.)

- Sam

Offline dstrimbu

Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:06:25 PM
12v 500ma is about 1/2 of what you need to run that box, if it asks for 12v 1200ma...  you need a bigger power supply.

At one point, I used an Audio Authority VGA-to-component video converter to do the opposite of what you're wanting to do - that is, send the output of a computer to a Component-input-equipped TV.  It ran about $120.

Now, looking at component/S-video to VGA converters, the reverse of my setup (and apparently what you need with that Samsung) - you're talking 2x the cost.  That's ridiculous for what you need, I think...

I have three monitors - a Dell and two Lenovos - that take component (YPbPr) video directly from my Panasonic AVCHD camera, via analog cables (or HDMI).

So, I think that, if you can't get the Samsung to work w/o a converter, it might be cheaper to buy a new LCD panel?

Sorry, wish I could be more help!

-Don