Full Wave Center Tapped Ground Question

dbishopbliss · 5543

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 08:53:45 AM
All of which posed no particular problem as long as the guitar and amp and player were a little island unto themselves standing on stage.

One time a band mate handed me his guitar to hold while he ran to the bathroom real quick.  He was a little pissed when his SG went flying across the stage.  After that, I learned to tap the mic with one hand while holding the guitar strings with the other.  Then, tap the guitars of other band members in a similar manner.  If you felt a shock, you would switch the ground.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline JC

Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 08:56:57 AM
Well, Doc, I don't think there was a review, but I would imagine there was a considerable amount of medicinal Jack Daniels applied to the injury!

You may recall that the chassis on that vintage of fender was hung into the cabinet with long screws that  went through two chromed steel "straps" on the top of the box which acted as big "washers".  These were also "grounded" by their attachment to the chassis, of course.  Bad idea to be leaning on two different amps at the same time, in other words!

Beefy, I've used a similar approach in the past, even on a Foreplay 2, although I usually find the cap to be unnecessary.  Of course, that is the ONLY point at which the Chassis/Safety ground can be connected to the Audio ground.  So, jacks must be of the insulated type, of course, for instance.

Jim C.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 09:39:29 AM
How do ground loop breakers figure in here?

With my PCB solid state gear, I am used to connecting safety/chassis ground to signal ground through a 10ohm, 5W resistor paralleled with a 0.1

Paul Joppa

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 10:00:58 AM
So that explains why my 101dB horns hum when hooked up the ice dispenser of my refrigerator.  :-)

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Beefy

Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 10:06:22 AM
Thankyou for the replies, gentlemen! :)

I have indeed read many different opinions for this, but it is good to know from you all that - at a very minimum - I would not blow anything up if I grounded a tube amp the same way as I do for my SS gear.