New production Tung Sol 6v6GT sound quality vs various OS tubes I’ve used

Rabco · 1225

Offline Rabco

Your opinions please on the new production (some design improvements?) Tung Sol 6v6GT regarding its sound quality in the Moreplay.
I’ve used currently and before OS matched 6K6gt’s, the OS Soviet 6n6c’s that came with the kit, a matched pair of OS Westinghouse 6v6GT’s, a matched pair of OS RCA 6k6GT’s, and lastly my current favorites a matched pair of Raytheon mil spec 6v6GTY’s.

The reviews of the Tung Sol’s used as a musical instrument tube sound like a good match for the Moreplay if you can compare apples to oranges.

Even if your experience hasn’t been with use of the Tung Sol’s in the Moreplay or an outright tube rolling comparison, feel free to weigh in before I drop the big dolla on a matched pair of these babies. 8)

First you fly, then you die!—Los Lobos

Mac mini->Denafrips Ares II dac->Moreplay pre->NAD C298 power amp->KLH 5 (2023) speakers.
Mac mini->Denafrips Ares II dac->Crack/Speedball amp>Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Offline hmbscott

I've used the stock Russian tubes, matched NOS RCA JAN 6V6Y's (the metal tubes), and matched NOS Sylvania 6V6 brown base black plates. My preference increases in that order. The RCA JAN tubes seemed crisper, clearer with better defined highs that the stock tubes. The Sylvania's display a lusher and more expansive sound stage without sacrificing clarity. They are what I listen to daily.

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers
Moreplay 2nd out >> [Crack + Speedball > HD 650]

Offline Rabco

Thanks for your reply HMBScott and keeping this thread alive.
I think this thread is on life support. I’m a little surprised there have been no replies from anyone using a new production Tung Sol in their Moreplay.
In light of that, when I get these tubes in a few days and get to listen to them for awhile, I’ll check back in and leave my impressions.
That should not discourage anyone from weighing in if they wish, IMHO.
Tube rolling is cool and can be addictive.

Mac mini->Denafrips Ares II dac->Moreplay pre->NAD C298 power amp->KLH 5 (2023) speakers.
Mac mini->Denafrips Ares II dac->Crack/Speedball amp>Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Offline Larpy

Your opinions please on the new production (some design improvements?) Tung Sol 6v6GT regarding its sound quality in the Moreplay.

Not sure what you mean by "some design improvements," but keep in mind that the "Tung Sol" tubes currently made in Russia have nothing in common with vintage Tung Sol tubes made years ago in the U.S. other than the name.  Mike Matthews, the guy who owns the New Sensor company, bought the rights to use the names Tung Sol, Mullard, and Genalex on the new tubes he has made in Russia.  They're decent tubes and I don't mean to cast aspersions, but since old stock U.S. made 6V6s are still plentiful and not too expensive (under $100 for a pair in good shape), it makes more sense to me to tube roll with them (as I see you've done).  The Russian-made "Mullards" etc are not genuine attempts to capture vintage designs.

As I understand it, the new Tung Sol tubes are made in the old Reflektor factory in Saratov, and it's Reflektor 6π6Cs that shipped with my Moreplay kit.  Do these new Russian "Tung Sol" tubes employ "design improvements" over the old Tung Sol 6V6s?  I can't imagine that's the case.  Are they "improved" versions of the old Reflektor 6n6Cs?  Maybe, but I'm skeptical.

Nothing sacred about tubes made back in the 1930s-1950s other than that was a time when tube manufacturing was at its peak and factories had really fine-tuned the process.  And materials such as metallurgy were of higher quality.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 10:28:20 AM by Larpy »

Larry

Offline Thermioniclife

Roger that Larpy.

Lee R.

Offline 2wo

• Test
I have a few pairs of the Tung Sol's from about a year or so after they were reintroduced. I don't know if they are the same as current production.

I wasn't going to post as I don't have a Moreplay but I did build a 6V6 pre based on the long thread over at DIY audio.

The Tung Sol's sound fine but do not beat the old stock tubes I have tried... John

John S.

Offline Rabco

I’m not sure, but I think the design changes *inferred* from some language in the text accompanying a current sales circular from a commercial supplier initials TD was probably due to an experience a couple folks had “red plating” a couple of these 6v6GT in an electric guitar use a couple (2?) years ago. Now they have supposedly Increased plate thickness which may have made an improvement in sound.

And before anyone gets exercised, my past experiences with TD as a consumer have been nothing but excellent.

I’d like to hear my Moreplay with a bottle style version of the tube but haven’t been able to readily find them at all, but I haven’t been doing auto searches with alerts or anything. Especially since in my current rig where their increased height wouldn’t be a good idea. Real world  considerations……..yes a dedicated listening room would be nice, but talk about cost/value considerations  :o

Maybe it’s coincidence but so far my experience with OS, or, NOS (in audio gear other than the Moreplay) has pretty much been a getting what you pay for experience: better sound = bigger price. Though overall I haven’t felt like I’ve overpaid.
Also, if I wind up deciding to sell my non-defective less favored for *sound* in my Moreplay tubes, I’ll probably recoup a small amount of dough, and chalk it up to the cost of tube rolling.

I’m curious to see how new compares to old in what appears to be a mid-priced version of a 6v6GT.

And, I love the sound of my Moreplay in my system. :)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Here are some good options that are way, way less than a new pair of Russian Tung Sol 6V6s:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/256525316733?itmmeta=01J01GB3478JD38ZJV2PMCAAQ5&hash=item3bba19b27d:g:7foAAOSwPo9mVK~F&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwNlAnUjpob%2BooRl3WISLYxLTnUX4%2FvP9CqSQDF4MNOSQMe5eYSHgN6PPSM2lbiLXm%2BoAPOy%2BWUad4yEoTqNKl90MjJz7WIdTkctF3ogcTetscETQwA%2FDMzoAByRkP7ZERBNBdLBr2EyL6p67YYy%2FeFmSfvsLsY6Zl54PCQ%2Fj9Ppgf64GwM6PpOU%2F3CO2PiPrfPqnqvzAJafRaAfG5Vcgf02FJF48mavqJCCza4JVp5SjzR%2B4E3gdbv9awEKjfKi%2BIw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6CyrLCAZA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266848143969?itmmeta=01J01GB348SZDTD842CCTPMEH4&hash=item3e21638a61:g:Tt4AAOSwFwVmVjRk&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwFWxOP9ZZCh%2FuIPOIZB9ZlxuKgXNb4C698rnuwi8xrn4l6tGzj9IkzPnpzEBuFa%2FxSueeN99EFZQdyscAvwDhntJv5BERdGq4Kv4z%2FfwblmDDyyhdJTWtmpz%2FQZGAZPCTF0aou5jLuQvImMyTM8Q4scgU7SvP2qASOH7eDpCFlsydR94gGhPbAuz%2F%2Bn8XpRTAS5zZS2F%2B6zTfsC9fDF6peI1h6tNKhMYgAM5MvQT%2BvPYnk6AQ4FRYfj3JYrlHpU5uQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6SyrLCAZA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355774984355?itmmeta=01J01GB348K0XY1G6S4TBNN1K9&hash=item52d5d770a3:g:pU8AAOSwFb5aAofF&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwExbySJ3eVkIkQXLQLac52HJ04QXysFTggrMpKV2QG0tG3DyFbO0Yw1GAkr5XBB1nKYowxhty1hiKPGiFu7R08M1mcO0sO%2BqEkUNjQlX30pLG%2FaSrMAgklcyZtvSTFlmzUxMBWfOiRsvoRXmG32CstnI37o8WNsAK8moQ3I%2Bkwmaxcf%2BvmiPEbJbLWWX%2F5x6YTSJfHzrmS4rXsNy3UPrU7wUlTSX%2B%2BbFa5etjY1tjTvXg66GVSEE5xGo2LZm6ShhgA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6SyrLCAZA

These old stock 6V6s just aren't that expensive, and it might even be possible that you could buy all of the tubes I've listed here for less than a new pair of Russian tubes.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline timindq

I swapped in a pair of Raytheon 6k6GT tubes just yesterday. Only listened for a couple hours, so verdict's still out on them. They were sold as NOS, and the boxes looked new, so... Prior to the Raytheons I was using a nice silver topped Sylvania 6K6GT with identical born-on dates.

I only have one pair of 6V6 tubes, a pair of GE 6V6GT, These are my least favorite tubes to use in the Moreplay so far. In fact, I have yet to find a pair of 6V6 tubes which I prefer to the 6K6 tubes I've tried. I don't know why exactly.

Source: Lumin D2 with SBooster power supply, 2tb SSD attached to Lumin, Pre: Moreplay, Amp: Bryston 2bSST, Speakers: Joseph Audio RM22XL. Setup in large, well treated dedicated listening space.

Offline Rabco

Here are some good options that are way, way less than a new pair of Russian Tung Sol 6V6s:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/256525316733?itmmeta=01J01GB3478JD38ZJV2PMCAAQ5&hash=item3bba19b27d:g:7foAAOSwPo9mVK~F&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwNlAnUjpob%2BooRl3WISLYxLTnUX4%2FvP9CqSQDF4MNOSQMe5eYSHgN6PPSM2lbiLXm%2BoAPOy%2BWUad4yEoTqNKl90MjJz7WIdTkctF3ogcTetscETQwA%2FDMzoAByRkP7ZERBNBdLBr2EyL6p67YYy%2FeFmSfvsLsY6Zl54PCQ%2Fj9Ppgf64GwM6PpOU%2F3CO2PiPrfPqnqvzAJafRaAfG5Vcgf02FJF48mavqJCCza4JVp5SjzR%2B4E3gdbv9awEKjfKi%2BIw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6CyrLCAZA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266848143969?itmmeta=01J01GB348SZDTD842CCTPMEH4&hash=item3e21638a61:g:Tt4AAOSwFwVmVjRk&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwFWxOP9ZZCh%2FuIPOIZB9ZlxuKgXNb4C698rnuwi8xrn4l6tGzj9IkzPnpzEBuFa%2FxSueeN99EFZQdyscAvwDhntJv5BERdGq4Kv4z%2FfwblmDDyyhdJTWtmpz%2FQZGAZPCTF0aou5jLuQvImMyTM8Q4scgU7SvP2qASOH7eDpCFlsydR94gGhPbAuz%2F%2Bn8XpRTAS5zZS2F%2B6zTfsC9fDF6peI1h6tNKhMYgAM5MvQT%2BvPYnk6AQ4FRYfj3JYrlHpU5uQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6SyrLCAZA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355774984355?itmmeta=01J01GB348K0XY1G6S4TBNN1K9&hash=item52d5d770a3:g:pU8AAOSwFb5aAofF&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwExbySJ3eVkIkQXLQLac52HJ04QXysFTggrMpKV2QG0tG3DyFbO0Yw1GAkr5XBB1nKYowxhty1hiKPGiFu7R08M1mcO0sO%2BqEkUNjQlX30pLG%2FaSrMAgklcyZtvSTFlmzUxMBWfOiRsvoRXmG32CstnI37o8WNsAK8moQ3I%2Bkwmaxcf%2BvmiPEbJbLWWX%2F5x6YTSJfHzrmS4rXsNy3UPrU7wUlTSX%2B%2BbFa5etjY1tjTvXg66GVSEE5xGo2LZm6ShhgA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6SyrLCAZA

These old stock 6V6s just aren't that expensive, and it might even be possible that you could buy all of the tubes I've listed here for less than a new pair of Russian tubes.

Thanks Paul. These are definitely the waters I’ve been swimming in expense-wise. To me they all have their own unique sound and usually it doesn’t take long to id a preference. Isn’t WAF usually a great thing?

I was offered the Tung Sols as a Father’s Day present which I thought was pretty cool.

My son is into vinyl, and is currently using some of my previous tube equipment in his main rig. I have no idea where he got the audio bug from 😉.

And as timindq reminds me, my usual process is to hold onto my “old stock” of previous rolls like my 6k6gt’s and revisit every now and then to see if impressions, a mix of new hardware (this doesn’t happen often), my ears etc have changed. I must admit though my rankings remain fairly consistent. I also feel there *is* a synergism that a new amp, DAC, equalizer etc might bring to the table suggesting a revisit to tubes of the past if they’re still around.  The Moreplay is going nowhere tho…..it jumped my rig’s sound so noticeably in a great direction that I rediscovered how large a difference a nice tube pre-amp can make.😎
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 02:09:41 PM by Rabco »

Offline Rabco

Disclaimer: I’m not trolling anyone, nor am I suggesting that there aren’t less expensive alternatives that can be bought that will sound better for you. I am not employed by any audio retailer or private seller of tubestock.

And, I love my Moreplay. It’s been a transformative addition to my main rig for the positive. Way positive.

That being said, of the new/OS/&or NOS I’ve rolled in my Moreplay, in my opinion, in my rig, the new production Tung Sol 6v6GT’s are to my ears, the best tube I’ve tried yet in my Moreplay. I used my auto repeat pink noise digital file at normal volume whenever the better half and I were out of the house to aid in break in, and then used the tubes ~2 weeks and then evaluated

What I liked about them is I’m hearing midrange forward just a bit more, better bass definition, a small amount of less gain, and nice full range definition that was not fatiguing. They accept more volume quite nicely without distortion I can hear.

Your results may vary.

Ciao.
Scott

Offline Mucker

I've had great luck with all of the new reissue tubes from EH, Genalex, Tung Sol, Mullard, JJ ... whatever type they are. The 6V6GT reissue is indeed very good. I've really liked the NOS brown base 6V6GTY.

There is a nice quad here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/314527193361?itmmeta=01J1JT89E31YWY2XZ0WG79PQQ1&hash=item493b481911:g:uw4AAOSwN-VkZc73&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwM%2FuRBQv1J5rVKBRMUlRKP0dZpBIHCD0o9c7HRnTFazsqg3uF3kyeMrsbsWMknelfLs2QQTGFxntGuDT0aaRPDAzNzhesAe%2BXwvgQR7ewZJjk%2B4waq5zyTeULiMg%2FiGf1hnSIFf5AhJ3xcXDBYSpkgg%2BSZAn5n7r%2BNzzM16DuhwY6uh1eCJ6BdzSPPkK54%2FwxktJnfPJlWnv%2BjJEaVL4ANl3bStNEgIkFmGUeV3XL9i0znfZz7k%2F46yUKY2%2B4%2FDJjA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5aXodqMZA

Not really pricier per tube than anything else out at this point in time. Probably last an eternity in the Moreplay.

So many good options for the Moreplay. I don't remember having a bad experience with any tube I tried.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 10:38:13 AM by Mucker »

Offline Rabco

Mucker, I’m going for the bonus round here.
I think the Genalex is usually the most expensive when new currently.
Do you have any comparison info for the Genalex vs the Tung Sol 6V6GT’s?

Offline AG

IMO, not much experinece with valves but years listen music in different equiment, founded there is not a such a thing like "those valves are the best".
Pop music is not the same as jazz and classic, everyone know that and valves should be replaced acordingly in regards of the rest of your gear.
when I play digital I use a cheap sylvania valves because I can equalize on my ipad, for records, I used 6v6 GTY (brown base, excelent sound and details) and for some jazz albums where voice are present I like my 6v6G (bottle shape)
having different valve sets is pratical and fun.

Andre.

“Without music life would be a mistake”

Offline Rabco

Andre,
I understand and basically agree that different tube sets for specific types of musical styles has merit.
The practicality of this approach for me would be a challenge, as I listen to several different styles of music daily, that would have me tube rolling almost every day, even multiple times a day.

I also am a proponent of keeping to a minimum the moving, third party moving, manipulation etc of my electronic gear.
I specifically use soft plastic tools to remove tubes by gently prising under the edge of their bases to raise them a small amount at different places around their base circumference. Then I remove them by their base, not their glass. I consciously remove the tubes as few times as necessary to avoid wear and tear on the gear, yet just frequently enough to compare several times only.

I cannot easily access much of my gear save their controls once the unit is in place and connected to cabling.

The longevity of my gear is the goal while maintaining their performance as practically as I can.

Like many things in this hobby (including ears), each to their own.🙂