Embedded Bluetooth

hpleung · 876

Offline hpleung

on: July 21, 2024, 12:14:09 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if there are any module you could integrate directly into the Crack so that it can be connected via Bluetooth. So you could listen to music with just the Crack and nothing else.

Thanks.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2024, 04:14:59 PM
I would just buy an external bluetooth receiver and plug that into the input of the Crack.  While it is possible to add such a module to the Crack, a lot of the ones out there will be expecting to be powered by a 3.7V battery, and you'll need to cook up your own power supply that's well regulated and well filtered to emulate that.  Doing this with the power transformer that's in the Crack isn't impossible, but how one would accomplish this will depend quite a bit on the specific board used and how the grounding is done. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2024, 12:50:33 PM
I use one of these in my garage/shop system. It sounds remarkably good for Bluetooth.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapter-Streaming-Wireless-Speakers/dp/B016NUTG5K

Offline hpleung

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2024, 11:57:00 AM
Thank you both.

Paul - is it possible at all to extract the DC power required for this blue tooth receive? If so, how would i do this?

This is just exploratory question - because i think it would be awesome if bottlehead crack could receive bluetooth without any external device.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2024, 12:33:29 PM
It's probably possible, but might require a lot of development work. Some issues I see offhand:

* getting 5 volts from the filament winding would require grounding that supply to the signal ground, probably inducing some hum.

* the antenna could be shielded by the chassis plate unless a good location could be found.

* You'd need to introduce a source selector switch unless bluetooth is the only source

My two cents

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2024, 02:20:16 PM
* getting 5 volts from the filament winding would require grounding that supply to the signal ground, probably inducing some hum.
This is the one that immediately came to mind.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hmbscott

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2024, 07:00:13 AM
I use one of these in my garage/shop system.
I've used one of those Esinkin Bluetooth receivers also, and was surprised by the sound quality. For a garage system, I would be inclined to tape the Esinkin to the side of the Crack chassis using blue painter's tape, and voilĂ  you have an all in one unit ;). That's a very "garage" way to solve problems! Still two cords though.

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers
Moreplay 2nd out >> [Crack + Speedball > HD 650]