help with subwoofer

aragorn723 · 1128

Offline aragorn723

on: August 29, 2024, 04:54:25 AM
So i'm running a B&W 10" subwoofer from the output of my sub.  The amplifier output is wired to the subwoofer speaker level inputs, and then the speaker level outputs feed the main speakers.   When it is playing music, the subwoofer isn't on all the time and is supposed to sense the signal and turns the sub on/off automatically.  For some reason the sub is cutting out in the middle of a song, any idea why this would be and how to fix it?

Dave
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 06:25:25 AM by aragorn723 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2024, 05:26:45 AM
If there's an auto on/off feature, maybe it can be turned off on the woofer amp?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2024, 05:43:05 AM
If there's an auto on/off feature, maybe it can be turned off on the woofer amp?

It does, I was hoping to leave it on so it would be one less switch to turn on/off when playing music.  Is there another solution?

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2024, 05:45:38 AM
The woofer should have an "always on" setting, and I would just use that.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2024, 06:58:45 AM
Paul,

I turned off the auto feature and switched to on.  That should have fixed it, but it seems like it is still missing some of the hits.  Basically it hits some bass notes (on a familiar track) and misses others.  As far as I can see it still has power to the sub amp, maybe the speaker wire loosened inside on one of the speaker terminals?  As far as I can tell the sub is still getting a signal since the main speakers aren't cutting out.  Any other ideas?

Dave
« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 07:01:18 AM by aragorn723 »

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2024, 08:00:47 AM
If you have a high-gain main amp and/or high sensitivity speakers, the preamp may not be set to a high enough output voltage to trigger the turn-on.

I doubt that this is the problem though. Auto-on sub amps typically stay on for a while once they are triggered. I looked up a typical one, and the manual said the trigger level is 10mV and the turn-off time is 15 minutes.

Paul Joppa

Offline aragorn723

Reply #6 on: August 30, 2024, 03:14:39 AM
Makes sense.  10 mv isn't a lot of current.  The woofer seems to be ok mechanically (it moves smoothly thru it's xmax when I gently press evenly around the cone).  Seems like there is an intermittent connection somewhere.  At least I have a backup sub laying around while I play with the B&W.  Unfortunately it is from 2005, so age is working against it too.  It might not be worth sending to a repair shop if I can't figure it out.

Dave

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2024, 06:11:06 PM
Do you have the option to reconfigure to run the sub from the amp (speaker) output rather than the Quickie?

John S.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #8 on: August 31, 2024, 06:24:42 AM
I'm actually running the sub from the speaker output and the speaker level outs from the sub to the mains..  Oddly enough the sub worked perfectly yesterday, gonna take the woofer out today and see if a wire is loose.

Dave