Any new products on the drawing board?

Thermioniclife · 4119

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: October 04, 2024, 10:53:19 AM
I can share that we are working on a new power transformer design for it. What we used in the prototype is a bit of overkill and not necessarily the most efficient choice. It is in the early stages and we will need to try some things before we settle on a final design. This is currently in process (literally - emails with our winder this morning) so hopefully won't take too terribly long to develop. That said, the output iron is well developed and we have a small production run of those on the shelf.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline dth31

Reply #16 on: October 04, 2024, 11:45:13 AM
I can share that we are working on a new power transformer design for it. What we used in the prototype is a bit of overkill and not necessarily the most efficient choice. It is in the early stages and we will need to try some things before we settle on a final design. This is currently in process (literally - emails with our winder this morning) so hopefully won't take too terribly long to develop. That said, the output iron is well developed and we have a small production run of those on the shelf.

That is good news! Thanks for sharing.

Online Cary

Reply #17 on: October 09, 2024, 06:57:18 AM
Can you tell us a little more on the SEX 4.0?

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: October 11, 2024, 06:35:31 AM
Can you tell us a little more on the SEX 4.0?
With the dwindling supply of 6FJ7s and 6DN7s, we are obviously moving to a different tube.  The benefit of this tube is that we can squeeze a bit more power out of it but the downside is that the Miller capacitance is high enough that we will need to do away with the volume pot.   While the original SEX amp was a pair of inexpensive monoblocks that got tons and tons of modifications published for it in the subsequent years, we have kind of lost that facet of the SEX amp with more recent iterations.  In large part I would offer the excuse that a low noise tube headphone amp isn't generally all that flexible when it comes to circuit modifications.  Anyway, the prototype I have here looks to be configurable in 2-3 different modes to trade overall gain for extra power, and we'd like to just build that into the parts provided with the stock kit.  We do retain the headphone jack as well, but you'll need to use the level control on your source.  The lack of a volume control also makes this a very nice companion product to the Moreplay preamp. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Online Cary

Reply #19 on: October 11, 2024, 07:36:56 AM
Thanks Paul for the info!

Cary