Crack, with small Speedball board

sfojws · 632

Offline sfojws

on: October 09, 2024, 12:02:51 PM
I've resumed the effort to revive a Crack amplifier that I built three years ago. It worked well in the standard configuration, and after installing the small Speedball board. After I built and installed the large board, the amplifier just wouldn't work, even after a number of posts on this forum, and actions to follow up on the advice given. Recently, I removed the large board, and reinstalled 3K wirewound resistors. The results of the resistance test were as specified in the Crack manual. I then checked voltages, as specified in the Speedball manual, with the following results: 0A, 57.2V; 1A, 192V; B-A/B, 0.3 mV; 1B, 179V, 0B, 192mV, with fluctuations. I reflowed the adjacent solder joints, and replaced the red solid-core wire between terminals A1 and 5U. Voltage reading were essentially the same. It appears that no power is reaching terminal 0B. Is there some other action that is advised? Thank you.   

John

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2024, 02:56:48 PM
Can you post some build photos?  57.2V on the OA terminal usually means the PN2907 is in backwards.  Having 0V at OB means there's likely something wrong with the stock build that's shorting out that half of the small C4S board (these issues can go undetected until you dig back into the amp to install the upgrade).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline sfojws

Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:07:43 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to perform another check of the wiring, with a different meter, to try to uncover a broken wire somewhere. It appears that I have the transistors on the board oriented as shown in the assembly manual, but I'm open to any other advice that you can offer. I need to figure out a way to convert the photos to a format other than jpeg, as the forum utility does not seem to allow that format to be used. If there is a way to send them in the jpeg format, please let me know.

Many thanks.

JS

John

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:16:36 AM
From the attachments utility:

Allowed file types: doc, gif, jpg, mpg, pdf, png, txt, 3gp
Restrictions: maximum total size 25000KB, maximum individual size 25000KB

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 12:30:27 PM
.jpg files upload fine. If the filename suffix happens to be .jpeg try changing it to .jpg

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.