Hakko FX-888

debk · 10380

Offline debk

on: March 20, 2011, 02:57:27 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the new Hakko FX-888?  This is the replacement for the old discontinued 936.

My 15 year old Weller WTCPT is on its last leg and I am thinking of replacing it with the Hakko FX-888

Thanks
Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline howardnair

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 03:14:06 AM
yes -i just had one arrive at my door -used it to make interconnects the other day--very nice--much of a improvement on the hakko 936- its predecessor-a nice blue color to boot--

Offline John Roman

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:45:16 AM
Hello Debra,
I've been using a 936 for several years without issue.  If I recall correctly I paid over $100 for the 936. With the redesigned tip and faster recovery time the 888 seems a decent replacement. Not sure it makes much difference but I've always wanted a digital temp read out on mine just to be sure what temp works best for different applications... that's probably just me being picky though.
regards,
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Mike F1

• Flyball Equipmemt
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 07:15:15 AM
I had a Weller SPG40 and when I first got it I thought it was pretty good. Used it for a couple of years with okay results. I tried various tips but never got the results I was hoping for. Two years ago I got a Hakko 936 and it is great! It heats up really fast, recovers fast, pulses and has a skinnier gun which I like better.
I think it a great product and has served me well and would hesitate to buy another one.

Mike

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:28:46 AM
The electronics lab that I work in at my school have Hakko 936's on all the benches and one digital multi-out station that uses the same 907 pen iron that the 936 does. If Hakko has replaced the 936 with the FX-888 in its lineup, then I think it would be a great tool.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline debk

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 10:58:03 AM
Thanks everyone.  I ordered a Hakko FX-888

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline JC

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 11:02:42 AM
I am looking forward to reading your impressions of it after you have it in hand.

Jim C.

Offline debk

Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:54:26 PM
Got the Hakko.  Very nice soldering station.  Heats up quickly, and I like the ability to change the temp without having to switch tips.  The hand piece is much thinner than the Weller and that makes it much more comfortable to use.  Overall very satisfied with the purchase.

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 08:28:49 AM
I recently got one of these soldering stations -- the iron ergonomics work very nice for my hands and I really like the separate base and iron stand.  Somewhere in the various web ppages I read there was mention that you could lock or limit the temp adjust knob to a set temp -- anybody know how to do this as I don't see any obvious way to do this except for possibly the ring under the temp knob.

BTW, Deb, if you're reading, how do yoiu like the Cambridge ID-100?  I've been considering one to add to my bedside system or possibly the living room.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 11:29:46 AM
Hey Jim, there is an allen key that comes with the unit, it fits in the hole on the ring behind the knob. Tighten that down to lock the temp. Knob. You can download a pdf version of the manual, but I think it's layout probably does not work well with your reader software. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 11:37:18 AM
Hi Shawn,

Ok, perhaps I need to look through the packing materials again as I did not find an allen key in with all the other stuff.

Appreciate the help,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

4krow

Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 05:40:34 PM
Upon advice of this unit, I have just ordered the 888D model. My fairly new Stahl burned up internally tonight. I will attempt to fix it later, but really all I am looking for is reliability. Hard to find now a days...

4krow

Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 11:32:26 AM
I am still patiently waiting for my Hakko(they delivered it to the wrong town, and promise it will arrive tomm). In the meantime it has been suggested that I look into older, higher grade soldering stations. Any ideas here?

Offline caffeinator

Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:41:37 AM
I have a Weller solder station that has served me well for years, and seems to thrive on neglect.

It is similar to the one pictured here:

http://www.markertek.com/Tools-Test-Equipment/Soldering-Equipment-Solder/Weller-Soldering-Products/WES51.xhtml

Iirc, there are numerous threads here on soldering equipment, and I could swear at some point someone found a nearly identical unit (like a Weller knock-off) that was less expensive.

4krow

Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 01:30:49 PM
Excellent! That is exactly what I was asking. I think that I may buy for a backup unit. I have been waiting too long for the new one to arrive, and using a 'pencil' again is just terrible.