Bottlehead Kits > Bottlehead Power Cord Kit

Awwww, c'mon... a power cord? YES.

(1/8) > >>

dstrimbu:
OK, I'm sitting here "listening" to my just completed power cord, attached to the Crack, through the HD-600s.

I would have never believed this if I hadn't heard it myself.  It's more than a "tone control", Doc.  This power cord has made a marked difference in the Crack's soundstage - it's more forward.  It's a bit more open, it's brighter - but in a really good way. And if it's possible, the damned thing is quieter.  More solid. Wow!

I would have never dreamed... but I'm glad that I bought two kits.  :-)  The second one will go on my Musical Fidelity M1 DAC.

Bravo!  To whomever at Bottlehead mis-ordered that wire - I owe you a beer!

Thanks!

-don

Doc B.:
Thanks so much for the kind words, it's great to find that others are hearing the same things we heard. I do want to mention here that we have only used the power cords on Bottlehead gear and that I didn't really intend to offer it as a universal power cord. So please to heed our conservative current rating if you try it with gear other than Bottlehead gear, i.e. if the DAC draws less than 3A you're probably OK. But don't try one on something like a Pass Labs amp!

dstrimbu:
Thanks Doc, I understand the design goal of the power cord - the M1 DAC draws 10 watts max @ 115 volts, so I think that we'll have a > 30x factor of safety or so in this application.  :-)

I'm just happy to actually own a system that allows me to hear the difference between power cords.  As an engineer, I've always been a bit skeptical of ultra-expensive interconnects - signal, speaker and especially AC cords.  But I do understand the relationship between current demand and rise time, and I've read some of the work that Shunyata has published lately concerning this parameter.

http://www.shunyata.com/Content/DTCD.html  And I think that Shunyata has really rocked the market by introducing the Venom 3 at $99.

More importantly - the concept of outbound radiation from each component's power supply, via the power cord, back into other components sharing the same power source.  It's clear that twisting and braiding the conductors gave me a lower noise floor.  Just amazing, in my opinion.

From an engineering POV, it makes sense. I'm not an EE, so I don't get it all... but it doesn't matter. I can hear it! 

-Don

Grainger49:

--- Quote from: dstrimbu on March 25, 2011, 08:41:07 AM ---   .  .  .   As an engineer, I've always been a bit skeptical of ultra-expensive interconnects - signal, speaker and especially AC cords.  But I do understand the relationship between current demand and rise time, and I've read some of the work that Shunyata has published lately concerning this parameter.  .  .  .  
--- End quote ---

I had problems with this concept as well.  However, early on I heard the first high end interconnect, Goldends (from Diskwasher).  They made a difference.  Better ones down the road made even more.

Kind of makes your head spin.  I have amazed some EE friends, I'm one too, with a simple swap in a "passive" piece in my system.

Doc B.:

--- Quote from: dstrimbu on March 25, 2011, 08:41:07 AM --- I've read some of the work that Shunyata has published lately concerning this parameter.

http://www.shunyata.com/Content/DTCD.html  And I think that Shunyata has really rocked the market by introducing the Venom 3 at $99.

More importantly - the concept of outbound radiation from each component's power supply, via the power cord, back into other components sharing the same power source.  It's clear that twisting and braiding the conductors gave me a lower noise floor.  Just amazing, in my opinion.

From an engineering POV, it makes sense. I'm not an EE, so I don't get it all... but it doesn't matter. I can hear it! 

-Don

--- End quote ---

The guys at Shunyata are friends, who work about 10 minutes from my house. Although it's easy to assume that these cable guys are all charlatans, I have found that Caelin is actually quite a practical and down to earth thinker. I also want to say that I have not measured the radiated field of our power cord, so I must stick with my initial comment that I don't have any solid evidence of what makes our stuff sound better with this cord than with a standard molded IEC cord. It is nice to think that some basic physics rules of thumb are involved and that twisting the wires does have some influence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version