Wire strippers

Doc B. · 19392

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 12:47:39 PM
The Teflon wire stripped on #24 AWG for me.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 12:52:24 PM
The Teflon wire is 22AWG. The other wire is 20AWG.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 01:44:47 PM
Yes while the 24ga. setting will strip the Teflon jacket, be sure that it isn't nicking the wire right at the end of the remaining insulation. We occasionally see fractures in the wire just inside the insulation when an amp comes in for a "no sound in one channel" type repair. This is due to using a stripper that makes a nick in the copper, which then breaks during installation.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 02:39:57 PM
My strippers may be old/dull.  I stripped 3 ends using #22 then the last one needed #24 as it had a long skin left. 

Offline tjessen

• Reduction/Crack/Quickie
Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 05:50:08 PM
I've never been crazy about the Ideal strippers, although I see them recommended. I'm sooner to grab a pair of Klein's or Greenlee. Home Depot carries these brands now and I've currently got a pair of Klein strippers that goes down to 30 AWG. Awesome pair of strippers.

Trent Rosa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 12:18:23 AM
I have Ideal for hobby builds and Klein for Habitat builds.  The Ideal have been working since 1994.  I think the smallest holes are a little dull from the Teflon wire.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 04:16:54 PM
I've never been crazy about the Ideal strippers, although I see them recommended. I'm sooner to grab a pair of Klein's or Greenlee. Home Depot carries these brands now and I've currently got a pair of Klein strippers that goes down to 30 AWG. Awesome pair of strippers.

This is a little OT, but the Klein side cutters are really nice too.  Probably the best I have ever used for home electrical work. 

Dave

Offline kxanthop

Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 12:29:30 PM
Many thanks for all the replies. I thought I had activated the instant notification for this thread and then forgot about my post altogether. After buying yet another useless cable stripper from ebay, I resorted to the wire cutter, which did the job nicely, albeit a bit more slowly.