General Category > Tech Tools

First Project Necessary Tools & Advanced Suggestions

<< < (2/14) > >>

jbraveman:
Thanks for the list.  As a newbie, this type of information is very helpful.  Other questions I've been dealing with as this is the first time I've soldered anything:

1) What to do when the tip gets oxidized while you're working. (I've ordered a tip polisher)
2) What size soldering tip is best for this work?  My soldering station came with a screwdriver sized tip.  It seems like a conical one might be better.
3) What is the best way to make good mechanical contact before soldering with these small joints/wires.
4) Tricks for wire stripping.  I have a stripper/cutter, but I seemed to mangle a fair number of the wires

booangler:
J,

My thoughts are this:

1) Wipeing the tip on a damp, not wet, sponge after and before every use can help keep the oxidation to a minimum. When you are all done soldering for the day, coat the tip with solder before shutting the iron off.
2) I use an 1/8 inch flat screwdriver tip for most of my work. Remember this is a personal choice and as such if your Iron supports replaceable tips by some extras.
3) When you can, twist or warp the wire around the lug, post, or terminal.
4) I just bought a quality 16-26 AWG stripper from Mouser to replace the Auto Stripper I was using.

Best of success to you, and keep asking questions.

Alan

Paul Joppa:

--- Quote from: jbraveman on November 15, 2009, 10:04:06 AM ---...
2) What size soldering tip is best for this work?  My soldering station came with a screwdriver sized tip.  It seems like a conical one might be better.
4) Tricks for wire stripping.  I have a stripper/cutter, but I seemed to mangle a fair number of the wires

--- End quote ---
Booangler's tips are excellent so I'll just expand on them a bit.

A conical tip is most precise, but it also holds the least heat so anything larger than a transistor lead wire will take more time to get everything hot enough. The screwdriver tip has more area for better heat conduction but still hace enough narrow dimension to work with precision. Once you get enough experience you can use pretty much anything if you have to - I used a 250-watt soldering gun (made for plumbing, not electronics!) for years; now I'm using a narrow conical tip because I'm too lazy to order a more useful one. When I was young I had a woodburning set with an optional "soldering" tip which was more of a stubby-pencil conical shape. Doc B uses a screwdriver tip but he never lets me use his soldering station, I'm too ham-fisted!  :^)

Better wire strippers really are better. Sad, because I have a $5.95 stripper and I'm too cheap to replace it for 5 times the cost, but whenever I work with Ed I just love to use his wire stripper, it does so much better a job.

You've probably figured out from the above why I get to do more designing that building.

Grainger49:
The two suggested tool makers at the top make wire strippers you will use for 20 years or more.  Home Depot carries one or both.

I have been using a small screwdriver tip on my soldering iron for the last 30 years.  I have used conical, but don't like them myself.  I am an experienced kit builder so I don't burn transistors.  But someone new to the hobby, and PJ is anything but new to the hobby, will find the pencil tip kinder to solid state devices.  This, screwdriver tip/pencil tip, is a personal preference thing.  Buy one of each and swap out to decide for yourself.

Look at the link to Doc's suggestion at the top.

JC:
I've always used a fine conical tip for circuit boards.  They are useful for that duty.  A narrow screwdriver tip or chisel-tip, as they're sometimes called, for everything else.

A 35W or 40W Weller can last an awfully long time if you take care of the tip.  And, don't leave it on all day by mistake!  A stand to set it in between joints is a really good idea, if for no other reason than peace of mind.  If you're always keeping one eye on a hot iron just laying on the table, the distraction can lead to other "issues".

I've always used the simple X-Lite stripper that consists of opposing 'V' notches.  They take a little practice to keep from nicking the wire, but they do a wide range of wire sizes.

Needle-nose pliers come in a variety of sizes, and a variety of sizes can be pretty useful, I've found.  The tip when buying pliers and diagonal cutters is to see if they close properly, with little or no light between the two halves.  Pliers that don't mate well can be quite frustrating to use.

Thanks for hunting this up, Grainger!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version