General Category > Tech Tools

First Project Necessary Tools & Advanced Suggestions

<< < (14/14)

jonjon:
Hi there. I'd like to get an opinion on the below soldering station and whether it would of high enough quality for a first-timer. I wanted to get the Hakko FX888D but in New Zealand it's well over $300NZ... pretty hard to justify.

Thanks heaps.

/www. jaycar .co.nz/48w-temperature-controlled-soldering-station/p/TS1564

Paul Birkeland:
That looks like a good choice. They list a few replacement tips, I'd grab one of each when you buy the station.

jonjon:
Thanks PB, appreciate the quick response!

Chris65:

--- Quote from: jonjon on January 11, 2017, 09:38:13 AM ---Hi there. I'd like to get an opinion on the below soldering station and whether it would of high enough quality for a first-timer. I wanted to get the Hakko FX888D but in New Zealand it's well over $300NZ... pretty hard to justify.
--- End quote ---

Cheapest price for the FX-888D I've found $238+GST @Synergy Electronics. I bought one a few years ago & not regretted the investment (but I do a lot of projects :D).
Had a generic station for a while, but the Hakko is so much better.

PS2500:
I haven't seen any mention of nippers with a lead catcher, but after a few years of using the conventional kind, and then getting a pair of these, I find them indispensable.

https://www.amazon.com/Tsunoda-TH-125NC-Cutting-Pliers-Catcher/dp/B073V2X71S/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=tsunoda+nipper&qid=1556936763&s=gateway&sr=8-14

They hold onto the cut part of the lead, cable tie, or solder, even down to 0.1 mm wire. I'd recommend them to any first time builder - I wish I'd had them when I built my first kit. I don't know what the pros think of them. If there's a downside, it's inseparable from the purpose of the tool itself: you have to shake or push the cut part loose from the nippers before cutting the next piece. Simply opening the jaws isn't enough. But that's a more than acceptable tradeoff for not having to hold a hand over the piece you're cutting to prevent it flying off. You can even ditch the safety glasses while using them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version