Low A2 reading......

shelby1420 · 8136

Offline shelby1420

Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 10:13:17 AM
Sorry to quickly offer the solder problem as a cause.  I confused you with another member that is making a lot of changes to his amps.  Glad you were able to quickly sort it out.

Aside from the problem with one of those WE tubes, how did you like them?  I have a pair that I want to try.  I have a nice tube tester so I think I will measure them first.

No worries re suggestions or advice, I am open to all I can get!  Really did like the WE, however, I have had the stock tubes that came with the soft start and to be perfectly frank I think I like them more!!

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 12:14:37 PM
So most likely not a tube issue then???
Well, I think the 5670 that you measured has lower than average transconductance. IIRC, someone else had a similar problem with a WE tube. At that time I speculated their tube might be used with an exhausted cathode coating, but it might be that the WE does not match the GE 5670 whose curves I used in the design - similar but not identical parameters. The only way to tell would be a transconductance tube tester; until then we are just speculating.

Hey Paul, when I try and swap this tube at THETUBESTORE  what exactly do I need to make sure is matched??  Dos this mean one of the tubes is bad or just not matched to the other??
I'm sorry, I don't know a good answer. You could just say that the tube won't bias up properly in your Paramount V1.1 (be sure to tell them what other tubes you have that do bias up properly. They have a good reputation and might exchange it on that basis. What we don't know is whether the transconductance is actually below spec, or within spec but on the low side.

I checked their web site, and they say "Our current stock of the Western Electric 396A tube is used. All test great and are guaranteed." That suggests they did test the tube before it was shipped, but of course used tubes may well have reduced transconductance.

If necessary we can reduce the tube current a bit to bring the voltage within the adjustment range - I'd hate to see you stuck with a tube that won't work.

As a matter of interest, the 396 was the very first 9-pin tube made. I have a pdf of the 1947 article in the Bell Labs magazine; it's just a hair too big to attach but if you ping me I'll email it.

Paul Joppa

Offline johnsonad

Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 10:20:17 PM

Really did like the WE, however, I have had the stock tubes that came with the soft start and to be perfectly frank I think I like them more!!

I agree, the GE's sound pretty nice!

Aaron Johnson

Offline shelby1420

Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 08:07:57 AM
I just wanted to give a follow up to this.  I called Jon at the The Store and advised him of the situation, without a blink he simply said send it back and I will send you another, so we swapped tubes and now I'm jammin with WE's in my amps, all is good in the audio world once again!!!!

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 12:30:42 PM
Thanks for the update - good to hear that The Tube Store's reputation is well deserved!

Paul Joppa