hook up wire

John Roman · 2986

Offline John Roman

on: April 18, 2011, 04:01:55 PM
I'm looking for recommendations for wire used to connect driver terminals to a crossover. I'm currently using some Belden coax on the woofer and 18 awg solid core copper on the mid's  and some 26 awg coil wire for the tweet. I'm inclined to just stay with 18 awg solid core copper for everything.
Suggestions?
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline debk

Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 04:21:02 PM
I use cat5 cable to wire up the speakers I build. 

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline glynnw

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:13:47 AM
I have been thinking of getting some of Paul Speltz'z anti-cable to use for this.  Look up his site for details - he sells bulk at $1.25 a foot.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline John Roman

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 03:38:24 AM
Thanks Glynn,
I'm making progress on finishing the bass bins. They should be done sometime next week. The new crossover stuff from Sonic Craft should be here today. Still trying to decide what type of wood to use for the baffle, maybe Alder, or even walnut. I'm unsure yet, I want something that is sonically benign, if that makes any sense. I'm making the back panel on the bass bins removable so that is where the bass crossover is going. I'm toying with the idea of putting all three crossovers in there. Thanks for the tip on the hook up wire, I'll call them today and check it out. I'm also hoping to upgrade the ribbon to the G2 although I'm having trouble finding it in the "round" housing. I've got several lines in the water on that front. Dick Olsher has responded and offered to help locate a source. That guy has been great, not what I expected really. I mean I'm just one guy who bought into the BassZilla concept and he has been very supportive every step of the way. He seems very down to earth. Anyway, I'll keep you informed and send pic's as I complete some sections. Take care Glynn!
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 04:22:03 AM
I've always used silver plated copper in teflon for speaker hookup, although if you want something that's very neutral, some nice solid core copper would be pretty ideal. Neotech makes solid core in teflon ($$) and PVC ($).

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com