break in of new caps for crossover

John Roman · 2834

Offline John Roman

on: April 23, 2011, 03:47:37 AM
I'm wondering what would be a good way to break in some new caps. I have several sizes: 50,15, 2 and .01 uf. I've  begun to finish some speaker cabinets recently and it is turning into a longer project than expected. Although with my picky/perfectionist ways I should have expected it. So now is a good time to break these in. These speakers may not be done for a month, man I cringe when I say that so I'm asking for some help. What do you suggest?
John
PS- I've just been reading, the internet is a wonderful tool, and have begun to learn a few things about burn-in. To those following along check this site out www.ultraaudio.com/opinion/20030801.htm
"very interesting" as Schultz would say or was that Klink?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:10:38 AM by John Roman »

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 03:51:15 AM
Look here:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,80.msg286.html#msg286

This puts amplifier voltage across the caps which gives a proper break in.  Depending on the makeup of the cap it will take from one to three weeks.  That is one week for Polypropylene caps and three weeks for Teflon caps.

Offline John Roman

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 04:16:28 AM
Thanks Grainger,
So the size of the cap doesn't matter with this procedure?
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 08:35:13 AM
The resistance in series with the cap makes a first order filter.  The cap blocks the lowest frequencies but the frequency still "appears" across the cap.  The larger the value the lower the frequency the cap passes.

The formula is 1/2*(Pi)*R*C  where Pi is the irrational number, R would be the 5 ohms and C being the value in Farads. 

Even larger caps like you will use in a crossover get broken in just like they would in the crossover.  But if you build the crossover and put the 10 ohm resistors in place of the drivers you will do the same thing with all the caps at the same time.  You don't have to listen to them either.

Crap! I hadn't thought of that.  That is even faster for your crossover.

Offline John Roman

Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 08:56:41 AM
Excellent!

Regards,
John