Acoustic Guitar Tube Amps?

willspeed · 2455

Offline willspeed

• Tropically Twisted
on: June 02, 2011, 03:26:42 AM
Hey guys,

I'm sorta throwing around the idea of building an amp for an acoustic/electric guitar, I was wondering if anyone had some resources that I could check out.

Thanks in advance!

Will

Will G.

S.E.X. w/C4S driving SEXy speakers
Seduction w/C4S
Quickie 1.1/ PJCCS
Rega Planar 2 / R200 Tonearm / Ortofon 2M Red / RB250 Tonearm / Ortofon 2M Blue
Tode / Taylor 110 / Taylor 214ce / 94 Tele Tex-Mex Special / Home-hacked Squire Strat / 86 Guild F46NT / Which one next?

Offline Steve_in_NV

Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 02:57:49 PM
I have been looking at one of these but haven't purchased anything yet.  Tube Depot seems to be a standup company, they have always done right by me.
http://www.tubedepot.com/kitsguitar.html

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 04:56:20 PM
Another good source:  http://www.ax84.com/classicprojects.html

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:49:34 AM
When you say acoustic electric, do you mean an acoustic with a piezo pickup, or an archtop hollowbody with traditional magnetic coil pickups? I've been experimenting with some ideas for the latter, and I have had a couple of requests for the former.

Electric guitar guys are a very conservative bunch, from what I can tell the range of creativity in guitar amps that sell well is "do you want to clone a Fender, a Marshall or a Vox?" I am working on some ideas that don't follow any of those approaches exactly. But you do have to understand what creates the kind of sounds that are popular and try to get the amp to behave in such a way as to emulate them to some extent, so there are a lot of similarities.

With an acoustic I would suggest a different approach. I think what a lot of acoustic players would really like the sound of is a large diaphragm condenser or maybe a ribbon mic setup playing through what would essentially be a high end PA. A mic allows for trying something like a single ended hi-fi amp and maybe a Lowther driver. You can get a pretty dynamic clean tone with a setup like that.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline dgb

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 02:01:38 AM
in kit form you might check...

http://www.guytronix.com/

i've built this amp and can attest it is sweet

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 06:51:44 AM
Yes, the Guytronix amps have a very good reputation. I am going to begin experimenting with a rather different all pentode design but something that is generally in the same range of output power, maybe about 3 watts.  An earlier 4-5 watt amp design I did using 12AX7s and a 6V6 is now being tried out on some session recording that my friend Art Khu has been working on, using an Epiphone Emperor II with fairly heavy flatwounds and a Kent Armstrong neck pup I installed (thanks jcastelletti, he spent a week in the woodshed with it as soon as he got it and he loves it!). Art seems pretty happy with the results so far and I might post a sample if I can get permission.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline castelletti

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 03:50:01 PM
Very cool!  I would love to hear it.  I'm glad Art is enjoying the Emperor.  It was a good sounding guitar stock I bet it sounds great with the pickup upgrade!  I would love to hear what you cook up for an amp!