Bottleneck Linestage Competition and Audio Meet - June 18

dbishopbliss · 8419

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 04:25:08 PM
I think we are learning about how to do these competitions. As far as break in goes... my entry was less that 12 hour old when we started.

To me, the best part is that it provides incentive to learn.  Now that I don't have the $99 limit, I'm going to try to get the regulated power supply to work.

I was thinking about the choice of speaker for next year's competition... I don't recall the technical reason for it, but there are drivers that work well in horns and drivers that work in bass reflex type of enclosures.  I wonder if there is a driver that will work in either type of enclosure.  Otherwise we may end up with a bunch of very similar cabinets. 

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 04:55:55 PM
I had a great time - thanks for hosting,and for creating this particular community. I'll post some pictures is a week or so whan I'm back in town.

I thought some of the lower rated preamps has audible new-capacitor problems; Deb's was one. She had two versions, the expensive-fancy one that didn't qualify for the contest was much more broken in and sounded much better. It was educational for all; each preamp had its own virtues so it was indeed a matter more of taste then simple ranking. Great job by everyone, and a ton of fun to participate.

The most fun was the $65 (total) stereo system  ...

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 04:36:06 AM
Ray,

That is a nice write up of the judging and entrants.  Does anyone have pictures????

David,

Heck of a job for an untested gathering.  Congratulations!

Offline RayP

Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 11:04:01 AM
I've posted some photos here http://829b.com/linestagephotos.aspx
Paul J took a bunch as well so we should see them eventually.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline Grainger49

Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 03:07:24 PM
Ray,

Thanks, I just looked at the pictures and will read everything tomorrow.  I like the cage, it is the most unique "case" there.