Dumb question re: transformer mounting.

Laudanum · 1963

Offline Laudanum

on: May 14, 2011, 05:19:53 PM
The instructions read :  "Slip a round #8 lockwasher over one 1-3/4" screw and place that screw in the hole nearest the safety ground. Place three more #8 by 1-3/4" screws into the other holes on each corner of the transformer".  Page 14 I believe.

Is this instructing to place a lock washer on one of the screws so that the washer sits between the screw head and the top of the bell housing?  If so, Im missing the point, especially with a painted bell end. 
Or placing the washer on the underside of the chassis such that the washer would be between the rubber grommet and the chassis so that one of the transformer mounting screws would actually make ground contact with the chassis?
Or somewhere else that Im missing?

Thanks.

Desmond G.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 05:25:25 PM
Is this instructing to place a lock washer on one of the screws so that the washer sits between the screw head and the top of the bell housing?  If so, Im missing the point, especially with a painted bell end. 

The teeth of the the lockwasher will penetrate the paint and make electrical contact.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:48:47 PM
Thanks Doc for the quick reply on the weekend.  My kit ended up with an additional #6 washer instead of #8 which threw me off a bit further.  Yes, I triple checked that I didnt use an 8 where a 6 should have gone ;-)
Not a big deal, plenty of washers of all types and sizes in the parts drawers.

Thanks again.

Desmond G.