New Stereomour: Left channel not working

wilberforce · 8032

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 05:51:29 AM
I have to wonder if there is a bad hum balance pot here?  Just a thought.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline wilberforce

Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 06:29:43 AM
I think I might have it. I resoldered practically every connection in that area, and now I'm getting proper voltage readings. I think it was a bad joint on that 1.6k resistor.

Stay tuned, I'm gonna hook up some speakers...

[fingers crossed]

Offline wilberforce

Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 06:46:13 AM
IT LIVES! IT LIVES! YAYYYYYY!!!!!

Right now it's suffering the indignity of running a couple of crap Radio Shack speakers in home made boxes, but it's putting out a lot of sound, and it's the best these little 8" full ranges have ever sounded.

My cheapo meter doesn't do AC millivolts, it's lowest resolution for AC voltage is 100 millivolts, so I'll do the hum balance by ear when I've got it hooked up to my main speakers, which are rear loaded folded horn JBL 2220s and QSC/Selenium waveguides with a custom Zilchlab XO. The neighbors are going to be in for it today.

Later on, I'll take some glamor shots for the gallery, and I'll post listening impressions.

Thanks again, all of you--I didn't expect to get this fixed until Monday. You guys are the hardest working men in Show Business!

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 11:22:56 AM
You've found it. T20 should be connected to the hum pot center terminal, and the hum pot is connected to C1 and C4. So T20 should be about the same voltage as C1 and C4. Since it's not there must be a broken connection (or possibly a bad hum pot).

Paul Joppa

Offline wilberforce

Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 11:37:01 AM
The voltages all started reading normal with that last resoldering of the resistor. I've been listening to it all day now, and no issues whatsoever, it sounds great. I haven't totally cranked it yet; I'm in an apartment building and I need to wait until the night worker/day sleeper guy upstairs is up and around.

There was a little baggy of Hershey's kisses included with the kit. I told myself that those are for when the amp is finished and playing music. I'm eating them now.  :-)

Thanks again, Paul and Doc!

Offline howardnair

Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 03:20:14 PM
congratulations wilbur--someone said something about the fruit of one's labors--well!! there you have it well done!!!--as time goes by --cap and tube upgrades can be fun---then!! another project
---howie

Offline wilberforce

Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 03:29:08 PM
congratulations wilbur--someone said something about the fruit of one's labors--well!! there you have it well done!!!--as time goes by --cap and tube upgrades can be fun---then!! another project
---howie

Ha! I'm trying really hard not to think about upgrading right now, but I am. Auricaps, JJ 2A3-40s, BUT!

I'm loving the sound right now, and I want to get many, many more hours on it before I upgrade. Listening impressions post coming soon. (spoiler: it's very positive).

BTW, my brother, who has a Master's degree in Psychology has been telling me about how Carl Jung used to evangelize DIY. He built his own house, his own furniture, and painted his own art, and recommended that others do so. It IS a deep satisfaction, made more so in this case, because I put together the speakers the Stereomour drives.