Bottleneck speaker competition (MD/VA/DC/DE/PA)

RayP · 19949

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 10:12:27 AM
What's wrong with the large room?  You should see the size of my speakers.  :-)

I will check with the social coordinator of the family... but it would probably be nicer for our more northern members to goto MD.  We should all chip in and buy some guy in Baltimore a Quickie so we have a central place to meet.  Of course, if you know anything about Baltimore people used to buy quickies on the block all the time.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline RayP

Reply #46 on: February 03, 2012, 03:18:56 PM
Ok I will try to get the larger room. It used to have an air-conditioning sound problem but since they have done some sort of remodeling, I will check it out to see if the problem still exists.

So your speakers are large. So are mine. Perhaps you should check out this link from the British series Coupling. It gets interesting about 1:30.

If you've never watched this show, it was the funniest and probably the most clever series I've ever seen.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #47 on: February 04, 2012, 03:35:26 AM
Actually, I was joking.  Mine are practically satellites at the moment.  But I'm thinking of something else.

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays

Offline RayP

Reply #48 on: February 07, 2012, 08:16:26 AM
I've reserved the large meeting room at the Elkton Library for Saturday May 12 from 12:30 - 4:30. Unfortunately somebody else has reserved for the earlier part of the day but I think we can get it done in four hours. The April Saturdays were no longer available.

So get the chain saws fired up to create those craftsman creations.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline RayP

Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 03:55:55 AM
Just a gentle reminder to finish those speakers. While you are at it, start thinking about the piece of music you would like to have included in the selection of music we will use to judge the speakers.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline RayP

Reply #50 on: April 12, 2012, 11:01:41 AM
One month to go. I'm hoping that my speakers are not the sole entry.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #51 on: April 13, 2012, 03:17:13 AM
I have an entry, but I must admit I haven't had time lately to work on them.

David B Bliss

Offline RayP

Reply #52 on: April 13, 2012, 11:23:47 AM
Maybe you could get together with Steve and Tony and work on them. Don't worry about making them look good. There will definitely be no competition from me in that area.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #53 on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:26 PM
I too will have an entry, although my attempt to try something a little different did not meet with success. So I

John S.

Offline castlesteve

Reply #54 on: May 02, 2012, 02:38:18 AM
One month to go. I'm hoping that my speakers are not the sole entry.

ray

Not to worry. I am hoping to have two sets ready by then. May not be the best finished but hopefully will sound decent. Maybe we can rideshare on the way up? My speakers are not too large this time.

Offline RayP

Reply #55 on: May 02, 2012, 03:46:43 AM
Well it looks like we will have a real competition.

Could those with entries send me their piece of music to be part of the test CD. My gmail account is rperry13.

As I remember, David was bringing his amp. Can someone volunteer to bring a CD player and cables.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #56 on: May 02, 2012, 06:32:33 AM
I can bring a CD player...John

John S.

Offline RayP

Reply #57 on: May 05, 2012, 11:16:06 AM
With one week to go until the competition, I think it is time to get back to the subject of judging the entries. For those familiar with the Elkton Library, there are two meeting rooms, a larger and smaller. Previously we have met in the smaller room, but I am not sure we will be able to get in there. We may have to make do with the larger room.

Which ever room, it probably will be difficult to hide the entries unless we have some sort of curtain.

Any ideas or comments?

By the way, remember that the room only becomes available at 12:30. I hope we can get going by 1pm or thereabouts. My speakers have to be assembled on site but 30 minutes should be enough.

By the way, all are welcome. It should be interesting to see and hear what we have come up with.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline dgb

Reply #58 on: May 06, 2012, 03:58:18 PM
i cobbled something to bring. i'm curious, you want a 2min mailed attachment of music? in flac format, or something else? thanks, don

Offline RayP

Reply #59 on: May 07, 2012, 01:54:42 AM
Cobbled together! It's probably better made than anything I could ever hope to build.

For the 6V6 competition, I 'cobbled together' a CD of various three minute tracks of different music genres, blues, classical etc which we played for each amp. David did the same last year for the Russian line stage.

We decided that this year, anybody who entered the competition could submit a track and it would be part of the test CD. So you can send me something in the 2-3 minute range. Wav or Flac would be fine.

I will try to include some test tones 60hz, 50hz, 40hz, 30hz, 20hz after the music tracks just to see how low our speakers can reach.

ray

Ray Perry