What tubes are you running in your Seduction?

castelletti · 10200

Offline Laudanum

Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 04:16:12 PM
Popped in my pair of USA Amperex this evening.  Im not sure on specifics of the tube, it is definitely a USA Amperex, 1962, but labeled made by amperex for Polarad (Not Polaroid).  I cant find any reference to Polarad.  Ive had these for 10 years and never used them.  I think I was saving as spares for one of the CDP's.  Anyway, they are quiet, not microphonic which is great.  They also sound really nice.  Not quite as strong on the low end as the 6n23-EV but midbass detail is a very good and the midrange seems a bit fuller, very sweet.  Not quite as extended up top but smoother and airy.  The 6n23-ev's are probably a bit more forward.  I need to spend more time with them but first impressions are that these are very nice tubes.  They arent necessarily a better tube than the 6n23's overall but they are quite different.   

Desmond G.

Offline jamestw

Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 09:57:41 AM
After listened stock EH6922s, I changed to Reflector 6N23Ps , but always felt they were too dark for my taste, though the the bass and mid are nice and tighten than EH6922. After few weeks I changed to NOS Tesla E88CCs and felt they were sounding soft a little bit.
The next I tried NOS Tungsram E88CCs, they did more dynamic and stronger bass and clearer top on my Seduction than Tesla did, but I just felt not satisfy. So the next were the nos Philips E88CC SQ, I got full, round, smooth and detailed from bottom to top.
Then in the end I have a pair of Siemens E88CC germany A4, I stuck with them for last few months, very very clear, air, and most detailed I've heard so far, I was quite happy with them, kept them on my Seduction the longest time than the others.
Guess what ? last week I put back the Philips SQs, and start to felt the Siemens sounded was skinny ...
So, tonight I'll try again the 6n23p later...

Having a lot of fun for tubes rolling. There is not a wrong tube to me so far. See, the difference is just because the compare.

But one thing I've heard and for sure, is that I got more 3-dimensions from Philips and Siemens, especially the Siemens. again,so far...

james

Offline denti alligator

Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 04:33:31 PM
Question about Seduction tubes. Do I need to use the tube shields no matter what tubes I use?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 04:58:57 PM
In the three places I've lived since building my Seduction, never have the tube shields made a difference in noise (nor has the Hammond box mod). I've always left them off as a result - the glowing tubes look much cooler anyway! If you live in an area with lots of RF, then I could see it making a difference. Whether it's a hearable one is debatable.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 06:11:54 PM
We put the shields in when the Seduction was being developed, because the lab at that time was in a noisy environment and it made a difference. If they have no audible effect then they are optional (and you are lucky!)

Paul Joppa

Offline Laudanum

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 03:04:46 AM
Yep, me too, no shields necessary and not being used.  I may get rid of the shield bases but havent decided.  Although, they arent too bad.

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 06:04:50 AM
Since the tubes don't glow that much, and they are about 16 feet away from my old eyes I have always left the tube shields on.  I have taken them off and listened.  There was no noise that I could detect with my ears, same age as the eyes so it is a personal evaluation.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:43:34 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 06:13:25 AM
If you don't want to run tube shields, it shouldn't be a problem. But do understand that the RFI that might be getting in will probably be VHF, and it won't necessarily be audible as a buzz or something. It could however make things subtly more harsh. Might be worth looking at the output with a scope that can get up into the 100 MHz range. Hopefully the reason no one seems to have problems is that the stopper resistors and heater bypass caps have eliminated them.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.