forum redirects to malware site?

Armaegis · 1994

Offline Armaegis

on: July 22, 2011, 10:58:44 AM
So I was reading the forums and suddenly this popped up when I clicked on this link: http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1841.0.html
(I don't remember which one that was, but it was in the gallery subforum)

Warning: Something's Not Right Here!
www.bottlehead.com contains content from www.fam-bruinsma-wilken.com, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
Google has found that malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed. Why not try again tomorrow or go somewhere else?
We have already notified www.fam-bruinsma-wilken.com that we found malware on the site. For more about the problems found on www.fam-bruinsma-wilken.com, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page.

I'm on Windows Vista and using Chrome as my browser.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 11:08:52 AM
I'm not getting any warning on my browser and I don't see any link to the fam-etc. on that page. Not sure what is up.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 03:35:15 PM
The redirect is a virus you got at another site.  I went through this about 9 months ago.  It can take some serious digging.  When I had it I could not Google anti-virus sites.  Those all got redirects.

Offline Armaegis

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 05:21:31 PM
Hmm, any idea how to identify and remove it? I've got MSSE running and it hasn't flagged anything recently.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 02:53:07 AM
Armaegis,

I have a computer guy because I'm pretty ignorant.  He did it from home logging on to the computer.  He went into some of the files from a DOS window and edited some of the Windows files.  The virus has already rewritten this file so it needs to be un-edited. 

I watched what he was doing and understood what was going on.  But I didn't get the file name of what he was working on.  He had to save a copy of the file, edit it then replace the active file with the edited copy.