Anodizing

porcupunctis · 1672

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
on: July 22, 2011, 02:41:01 PM
Has anyone had any experience with anodizing their aluminum plate?  It took me some time but I finally found a shop that would take on a single piece.  It's probably too late for advice as I've already sent the part off for work but I will update on the results.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 05:01:32 PM
Just got the anodized plate back today and thought I would share.  I think it looks crazy good.  Not only does the anodizing give it great color (there are many colors to choose from), it hardens the surface of the aluminum.  I'm really looking forward to getting my Foreplay put together now.

Here is a pic:

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:43:16 PM
Be aware that the anodized layer is an insulator, and you'll have to cut through it somehow to get a chassis ground. If it's not too thick, a star washer may do the job - otherwise, a bit of dremel work may be in order.

On most Bottlehead kits there are two chassis ground points - one for safety near the IEC socket - this one is important!!! The other is the signal ground, usually the center terminal of a T-strip near the first stage.

Paul Joppa

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:49:32 PM
Just one note, you only need to cut through the coating on the underside. Don't need to spoil the top...John

John Scanlon

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 07:28:38 PM
Thanks, it looks like on the Foreplay III that there will be (at least) three places I need to be sure that I break through the non-conductive layer.  There are the two solder tabs near the IEC connector and the transformer.  Then there is the connection under the solder strip that has #28 as it's center. 

I actually considered lining the bottom with copper tape but I backed out thinking that it might have unintended effects.  Do you think that would have worked?

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics