Question re: DC on output when firing up Crack

Laudanum · 2229

Offline Laudanum

on: July 22, 2011, 02:04:00 AM
Im wondering if anyone has checked the DC voltage on the headphone jack output AFTER installing film caps. 
I installed a couple of Mundorf MKP's, 100uf 250V about 2 weeks ago.  I didnt do any measurements after install with the exception of monitoring DC voltage on the ouput jack when first firing up the amp.
It looked like it ran up to about 22vdc.  I double checked with another meter and measured the same.  It seems to rail up and come back down much faster with the film output caps compared to stock lytics and unfortunatley I dont have a peak hold on my meters to be sure of the reading.  I clipped the stock lytics back in temporarily and measured again, and sure enough, just a hair over 9 volts, just as it was when I first built the amp and as the manual states.
I put the Films back in and measured again to be sure, and again, about 22 volts before settling down to nothing.  Re-checked all voltages and everything was perfectly in line with the manual.   I checked again with my cheapest Phones connected and voltage was expectedly much lower with the load connected (cant remember measurement).  Ive been running the amp for 2 weeks with the film caps, no problems at all.

Yesterday I installed speedball.  All voltages were fine.  But that voltage at the jack at startup still rails very quickly to 22 volts dc and then settles to essentially zero.  Also noticed that the leakage voltage is virtually non-existent with the film caps.  The meter doesnt jump around the mv range much at all with the film caps installed after that initial turn on voltage.   If I remember, this is normal as films arent leaky like lytics.

So Im just wondering if anyone else has measured this with the film caps and noticed similiar.  Or do I have something going on here that the other voltage measurments isnt showing?

Thoughts on this?

Thanks

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 05:34:41 AM
Interesting observation.  The 2.49k ohm resistor to ground is where the DC that leaks through on startup goes to ground.  Any additional resistance there makes it even faster. 

If you are worried, and it doesn't sound like you are, such leak through is normal and should be zero after startup.

But the difference between the electrolytics and film caps must have to do with the polarized properties of the electrolytics.  It is my guess anyway.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 02:24:37 AM
You're right, not really worried, just wondering.  And still curious if anyone else has measured it after installing film caps.  I'll hang on and see if anyone else chimes in.  I bet someone will get the itch to measure it if they havent already.   I was thinking that maybe the electrolytics charged slower compared to the film caps which allowed the resistors more time to bleed the voltage off.   But a very non-technical thought on my part.  Thanks Grainger.

Desmond G.

Offline deltaunit

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 09:23:22 AM
I must have caught a bug as I'm feeling itchy!

I just measured mine, I get very brief 14v spike. HTH.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 09:34:33 AM
Interesting.  With you measuring 14 volts and my 22 volts, obviously there is a difference but I wonder if different brand/construction film caps will typically result in varying readings.  And if so, what explains the differences.

Anyway, that quells my curiosity.   Thanks for taking the time to check. 

Desmond G.