Vinyl on Crack, need advice.

Laudanum · 6687

Offline levlhed

Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 04:30:04 AM
I've often wished the Crack had a pair of inputs!  I usually listen to records with it, but occasionally I like to stream some internet radio.

I think a tube headphone amp (Crack/Speedball) with a pair of switchable inputs and a built-in phono pre (Eros? Seduction? even -shudder- Solid State?) would be my dream machine!!

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 05:57:51 AM
One trick setup might be to combine a Seduction and a Crack on one custom drawn 12" x 12" chassis from Front Panel Express. The only other customization you would need to do is to add a second set of RCAs and a two pole two position switch for the input selector.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 07:36:25 AM
And if you wanted to try that, I'll be glad to send you the stock base parts from my stereomour.  I won't be using it and I don't like to waste good parts.

You could probably use the stock top plates from the crack and seduction and put a 3/8" divider between the two halves so that's flush with the bottom of the rabbet.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Laudanum

Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 02:59:48 AM
I know this isnt as slick but I originally set up Crack just to use with a digital player as the source.  Cable is star quad with a 1/8" mini plug (players line output) to RCA's into the Crack.  Shortly after I added my old AH Tjoeb 99 CDP that wasnt getting much play in the main system.  To make that easier, I again used Star Quad to make up a cable with RCA's for the CDP to a 1/8" mini jack.  So source swapping is done by plugging the 1/8" plug directly into the Digital player or plugging it into the 1/8" jack for the CDP.  I was actually thinking about adding Seduction the same way, atleast temporarily.  Cable wise, it wouldnt be the best solution as the cable run would be a little too long and capacitance of Star Quad type cable is relativey high not to mention that Im not sure how a 1/8" plug to 1/8" jack affects it if at all.  But it would have worked and source selection is pretty easy with the plugs, much better than full cable swaps.  But I bit the bullet and also ordered the FP III at the same time I ordered Seduction.  I liked the versatility of being able to add a small amp and speakers later on if I decide to.  I have small amp and the Fostex full rangers from the main system that I may move in the future and FPIII allows that with the two outputs.  I also wanted the additional gain on tap just in case I needed it for vinyl and the rather ineffecient AKG 601's (which are growing on me more and more).  
Im curious to see how it all works out.  It's nice going source direct to Crack ... nice and simple so we'll see how adding the Foreplay in the chain works out.  

Im getting ansy now ... need some wood to glue, sand and finish and some solder fumes to sniff but I think I still have a while to wait :-P
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:01:36 AM by Laudanum »

Desmond G.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 03:35:02 AM
I would suggest a modification of Doc's suggestion.  Add a pair of RCA jacks and a DPDT toggle switch.  I can walk you through the wiring of that switch if you need it.

Here is a link to another pair of Gold plated RCA jacks:

http://www.parts-express.com//pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=091-1120

I keep a couple of pairs of them around in my parts box "just in case...."

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 04:21:55 AM
Desmond,

Slightly OT, but really glad t hear about the AKG K601s.  When Smack comes out, it will be interesting for sure to compare it to the Crack with the 601s

Looks like the BH bug has itten -- figured that would happen :-).

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Laudanum

Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 05:05:54 AM
Hey Jim ... Yeah, the 601's are pretty nice phones.   They were really bass shy out of the box.  Definitely a long break in on these.  But they actually exhibit some palpable bass now and they are still getting better across the board.  I can go from any of my phones now (except the Beyer 990's) to the 601's without suffering lack-o-bass shock which is a signifigant change from out of the box.  Widest stage of all my phones, most evident on live recordings.  They are my primary phones for live recordings (mostly live electric blues) for sure.  Im comparing with Beyers, my old K141's the Quart closed phones, M-Audio Q40's (closed) and Fischer F-011.

The Bottlehead bug has hit ... Great stuff, fun to build, affordable and Im still loving Crack so much that I HAVE to add vinyl.  I cant think of a better way to do it than with what still has to be the best deals in DIY tube audio.   But, Im impatient as hell and that hasnt extinguished with age ... the waiting drives me nuts  :-D .  But its worth it.

Desmond G.