Quickie needs a warm up...

earwaxxer · 1578

Offline earwaxxer

on: November 12, 2012, 07:13:06 AM
I have waited a while to bring this up, because this is such a hard one to pinpoint. I am CERTAIN now, that my SEEStum sounds 'better' after it has warmed up.

I mean, a good healthy, toasty half hour to one hour+. Its subtle, but I can put my finger on it now. Its what i would call 'ease'. The music is easier, and flows smoother.

Sure, psycho-acoustics are at play. With that said, I dont believe that the Quickie changes much with warm up. For all I know the DAC could be happier being warmed up. It does run warm. The Quickie doesnt.

Anyone have similar experiences? - For the record, I never noticed a warm up benefit with my old system that was fully SS. But, that kit was no where near as resolving and flavorful as this one!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 07:24:29 AM
Yes, tube gear does need to warm up to sound as it was intended to sound. It's more difficult to decide that the system changes if you sit and listen through the transition. But fire the system up listen to a song, the come back and listen to the same song half an hour later with your ears fresh and you will typically notice that the sound is smoother through the mid and treble ranges. I for one wish this was not the case because it means having to come in an hour early to warm up the system for demos.

The ultimate demo of this is to take two systems as identical as possible. Warm one up and leave the other cold. Then listen on both. Then try again, reversing which system is cold and which is warm when you listen. I think most would hear the difference between warm and cold in systems with good resolution, unless you have predetermined that you don't want to hear the difference.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline corndog71

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:57:06 AM
I find a good hour of warm-up does the trick for my system.  It's sounds good at first but after an hour it sounds great!  Then again I could just be biased.  ;)

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 10:31:42 AM
Its good to have company! - I thought I was hearing 'something'.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.