Stereomour noise

shelby1420 · 1713

Offline shelby1420

on: November 30, 2011, 06:11:43 AM
Hay all, I have been listening to my Stereomour now for about a year or so on speakers rated at about 93db, but have now moved it to the main rig and 101db.  I have noticed what I believe to be a 60 cycle hum from left speaker only ( I have swapped cables tubes in and noise is still there)  Now, the left speaker and speaker cable Nordost flatline Mk ll are right by the plug I have my unit plugged into............. my question is, are speaker wires that are braided better against fighting this or no??

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 06:50:07 AM
If it is 60Hz powerline pickup, it is most likely magnetic so shielding won't have much effect. What counts is the space between the conductors. Twisted pairs are usually best practice, since the orientation of the sensitivity rotates and each half-turn cancels the adjacent one. For the flatlines (I found a picture) you could just strap them parallel to each other to minimize the area between.

You can first try adjusting the hum pots; if it's 60Hz that might help.

Paul Joppa

Offline shelby1420

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 07:36:49 AM
Thanks Paul, I will try moving things around a bit and see if that works.........

Enjoying the music

Rick

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:06:10 AM
You will get minimal, not zero, pick up if you cross the power wires and speaker wires at 90 degrees.  Might help, might not.