Fosgometer???

Grainger49 · 13297

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 08:39:47 AM
Paul,

Thanks for entering the fray with some scientific information.

I'm not dissatisfied with the sound of my cartridge/arm/table.  I was just looking for better and more scientific methods for setting up any cartridge.  The $300 for the Fozgometer and $900 for the Cartright (does a lot more for 3 times the price) doesn't fit my famous Cheapskate reputation.  I got the scope as salvage.  It works perfectly.  I learned how to use one in school and remember at least 60% of what I learned.  I was hoping that I could use it for this.  As I said above I will rely on my failing eyes and measuring the headshell.  My arm allows me to make pretty good measurements to see that the headshell/cartridge is level.

What do you do?  I'll bet not to worry about it and enjoy the music.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:19:04 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 10:46:12 AM
What do you do?  I'll bet not worry about it and enjoy the music.
Yes, that's pretty much my approach. Doc B is much more careful. I do fuss with VTA, since I seem to hear big differences, and many cartridges have excess VTA when they are level to the record surface.

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 01:12:35 PM
So you suggest dropping the back of the cartridge?  Any clues except the sound to tweaking it in?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 05:43:17 PM
I start with the shaft 15 degrees to the record surface (if it can get that low), then experiment. You really want the diamond tip to the fulcrum at 15 degrees, but that's just too hard to see. Usually you need a compromise - a greater angle if you have any records that are not completely and perfectly flat!

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 11:44:46 PM
Paul,

I can take a picture of the stylus/cantilever but measuring is out of the question with the clearances I have with my arm.

My records are pretty flat with the VPI record clamp but I have varying thicknesses.  I have a James Taylor that is so thin I thought I could see through it (it plays very well) and of course have a smattering of the 180g and 200g LPs that are like putting on thick pancakes.  That changes the VTA.  And maybe one of the reasons that the 200g LPs sound good is the back of the cartridge is dropped changing the VTA?