New preamps?

Mistertaz · 8951

Offline Chris

Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 03:20:43 PM
Thank you Paul, yep a high end DHT OTL pre  "The Nooner" (So good , you have to return home for lunch, not for the misses, but to listen to your BH GEAR!!!) is not an easy task do well,  but IF you guys decide to do it, it will be superb I am sure... good luck , take your time.... thanks guys... and I can just hear the H.S. intern explaining to the class, "and yeah after a Quickie, my next project will be to work on my Extended Foreplay with Enhanced Sex of course"..... Doc, you are going to send the poor kid straight to the principals office!!.... :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 03:30:25 PM by Chris »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 01:16:34 PM
One channel of the 300B preamp is up and running this afternoon. Wow. The system is gettin' some hair on its balls. Shawn will be cranking out another channel, hopefully to be completed by tomorrow so we can listen to them at the meeting on Saturday.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 02:30:30 PM
Awesome!!

Xavier Cortes

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 04:49:23 PM
Wow, wish I could make it to the meet just to hear this!

Transformer coupled output?

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 06:10:18 PM
Direct out, no transformers.  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Chris

Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 08:07:14 PM
Holy Cow, exactly what I had in mind as my ultimate preamp, a 300B DHT OTL.... just a question, will the 300b's last longer than if they were in am amp?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 05:51:30 AM
The 300B plates are dissipating only about 6 or 7 watts. They ought to last a long time.
We have noticed a bit of microphony, but it seems like it will be controllable as we only hear it when we thump the chassis. Doesn't seem to be picking up enough vibration from the speakers to be a problem. Shawn had the second channel about 30% built by last night, so I hope to report about the stereo pair this afternoon.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 04:40:17 PM
Second channel had this mysterious hum, that sounded to me like a ground loop. Shawn and I spent two hours trading out nearly every part of the bad channel with the good channel in frustration and then, finally, I realized that one of the three traces I was supposed to cut on the power supply PC board in order to mod it for this application was not cut and hence causing - you guessed it - a ground loop. Palm print on forehead. Before we left tonight we got it fixed and fired up both channels, playing some our favorite vinyl demo tracks with the Tube Phono and active step up prototype.

Holy s**t! It's not just a bigger badder lower midrange as one would expect. The bass is big and bad too, the midrange resolution is crazy good and it's like the power output of the system has gone up maybe a factor of 10. This is a keeper, and a very satisfying result of my spending the last year or so trying to come up with the ultimate version of my "low output impedance/no transformers/no cathode followers" line stage. Thanks to PJ for putting up with my theories over the past year and cooking up circuits based upon them, including this one.

You guys who have Paramounts, start saving your pennies. This circuit is a match made in heaven.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline jlschweiger

Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 04:50:07 PM
I just unwrapped a new piggy bank... :)

John Schweiger
Chromcast Audio -> Paramounts -> Triad bookshelf
ADCOM-575 -> Smack -> HD800

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 05:10:43 PM
OK, so now you are telling me I need to save for the DAC, the Paramounts, AND the 300B pre amp?  Done...I'm officially saving for all three....I don't need to shop around anymore for anything! Congratulations, Doc!!!

John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline mchurch

Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 05:58:06 PM
This will be a great addition to my Paramount set up!  Can't wait, the saving has begun!

Cheers

mike

Offline Mistertaz

Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 06:54:22 PM
Will this preamp have any provision for headphones as well?

I assume it's unlikely unless they're high-impedance cans?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 05:45:35 AM
Yeah the output impedance is a bit high relative to most headphones. And adding an output transformer to lower the output impedance is going to reduce the gain, so you might find you need a second stage to get enough gain from your source. Next thing you know, you have designed Paramount instead of this preamp.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ironbut

Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 08:08:12 AM
Some very cool stuff brewing up in Poulsbo!
I can't wait to check it out.

steve koto

Offline Chris

Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 02:40:45 PM
Sounds like the "ULTIMATE Foreplay" to me...... I know we are only talking about matching it up with BH gear, and  I know amp matching with a DHT OTL pre can be difficult, what amps (impedences etc.) would be a bad match do you think, in other words, could this amp be used as a "generic" reference pre with SS amps, OTL tube amps, I even have a 1000 watt OTL hybrid amp... I  know the best combo is to match it to YOUR amps, I guess i just want to know how flexible it would be as a generic reference pre also? thank you very much.....
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:33:10 PM by Chris »