My experiments with Quads

xcortes · 12079

Offline Tubejack

Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 04:01:51 AM
The DEQX http://www.deqx.com/ is a very, very nice unit, which I don't own ($$$) but have played with on a 3 way tri-amped OB design.  I ended up going here and used a http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-4x10-hd ($)

Not quite as out of the box PnP, but their devices work real well when used with an inexpensive calibrated mic, True RTA http://www.trueaudio.com/rta_selection_guide.htm, and REW (Room EQ Wizard) http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

Cost effective DIY, hands on, instructive.  I only had to overcome my bias about putting a digital device in my otherwise all tube audio chain ...... well, except for a DAC or two ....

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

4krow

Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 05:29:15 AM
  In the past, I had tried the DEQX also, but like you said, the money, wowo. I then went back to a a passive design, which for me was the answer. In a 3 way digital set-up, there were a LOT of connections to be made. I try to keep things simple for my own sake.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 02:45:29 PM
Xavier,

I am not sure I'm following.  What feeds the Quad tweeter panels?

I'm pretty familiar with multi-amped electrostatic set ups.  I still have a (broken of course) Infinity Servo-Statik system.

Offline xcortes

Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 02:49:20 PM
I've not posted in this thread for some time! The Quads are not being used now.

Xavier Cortes

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 04:42:19 AM
Xavier,

Did you by any chance try these with a Firstwatt Aleph J?  According to some, this is a spectacular amp for the quads and cannot be damaged by any known speaker load (according to NP himself)  These are single ended class A SS amps (though with some feedback) and a 2nd order distortion characteristic.  Many low power SET lovers have adored this amp.

I'm collecting parts to build a couple of monoblocks -- got matched sets of FETs and JFETs and BJTs on the way, plus pc boards, and mega heat sinks.  A longer term project, but something I'm very curious to hear for myself.

Hope things are well with you, my friend,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline xcortes

Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 05:35:39 AM
Hi Jim,

I have not. I had a first watt amp (f5?) a while ago and did not like it.

Right now the plan is to build two pairs of 300Bs with tfa 2004s Ni and pgp 8.1s . I have most parts including original Paramount driver boards. Hopefully next year I find the time!

Saludos

Xavier Cortes

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 05:46:21 AM
Xavier,

Understood, but the Aleph J is a very far cry from the F5 -- the F5 is by far my least favorite FW amp -- sounds very typical class ab transistor to me.

Anyway, maybe when you're ready to pick up on the quad experiments and if I have my alephs done, I can ship them to you for a try.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline xcortes

Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 06:05:12 AM
Deal!

Xavier Cortes