Finally made up my mind to get back into vinyl

Jim R. · 9197

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: November 11, 2011, 03:49:36 PM
After quite a few years of no TT, ad after selling my album collection, some nice vinyl gear and swearing it off forever, I have decided that that's time to do it all over again.

So, after a lot of research, waffling, many attempts at finding a good, affordable Thorens TD-124 that wasn't goin to turn into a big project, I just decided to go for a dealer demo Clearaudio Concept TT and a Clearaudio Aurum Beta S Mk. II wood cart.

One reason is that this is a well reviewed table that performs like much more expensive decks, has a very cool, magnetically suspended, unipivot tonearm that is supposedly very easy to setup and maintain, and to top it all off, I can run the table from the same high quality, filtered/regulated battery supply that now runs my Mac Mini.

Anyway, the next step will be an Eros, and I figure this will keep me quite happy until such a time as I can upgrade to a virtuoso or Maestro cart -- want to stick with the MM types for now.

BTW, the last table was an upgraded VPI hw-19 with the bonded steel plinth, walnut base, Technics EPA-100 arm and Sumiko blackbird on a Sumiko magnesium headshell and Van Den Hul cabling -- not a shabby rig either.

Wish me success as this was not an easy decision and I sure hope it pays off in the end.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 04:07:12 PM
I've had two TD-124s in the past. Traded them both away.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 04:53:38 PM
Hey Jim,
I own a Concept, I think you will be happy with it. I started with the stock Concept MM cartridge and upgraded to a Virtuoso. I have a feeling the Eros would mate well with this table.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:39:57 PM
Welcome back to vinyl Jim! 

Aaron Johnson

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 04:00:17 AM
Jim,

Congratulations!  I knew you didn't play vinyl but with all else you do I had wondered why not.  

I will be interested in hearing how you cue up the arm.  No problems with placing the LP or anything else.

I hope this isn't too personal a question but how will you know which LP you are drawing out?

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 04:29:37 AM
Dan, yes, they apparently take quite a bit of fussing and an upgraded plinth to really sing, and I just didn't want a project like that now, especially since it would cost me more than I really have to spend.

Shawn, Glad to hear you like the Concept -- aren't you somewhere in Colorado as well?

Hey Aaron, thanks much -- looking forward to it for sure.  How's things with you?

Grainger, no problem, just have to make braille labels to put on the heavy poly outer sleeves I used to prefer to use to keep the covers nice.  Then I just have to be dutiful about returning things back to where they were as soon as I'm done playing the album -- which is often my downfall, but starting from scratch will mean everything will get categorized from the outset and everything will get a label before it gets put away.

BTW, your tagline still says Seduction :-).

I also just finally, after I don't know how many months on the market, sold my Cornwalls, and that should cover the price of the Eros kit, so hopefully I'll get that ordered next week sometime.

Now I'm just waiting for my speakers, but I'm told I will get god news on that early next week as well, so I'm getting very close now...

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Thoburn

Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 06:07:07 AM
Glad to hear you are back into vinvl. I too, have been back into vinyl and am enjoying it. Bought my VPI table new from my local shop because I can count on them to help me get the best performance. I have been at it for just under 2 years after a 25 years hiatus.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 08:10:02 AM
CS&N is one of those LPs I bought when it came out and over the years I have heard it enough to know what is there.  Often a system will not bring out the high hat cymbals closing far off to the right in Guinevere.  It is barely perceptible in mine. 

They didn't feature drums that much on the first LP even less afterward.

Offline Thoburn

Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 03:05:27 PM
CS&N is one of those LPs I bought when it came out and over the years I have heard it enough to know what is there.  Often a system will not bring out the high hat cymbals closing far off to the right in Guinevere.  It is barely perceptible in mine. 

They didn't feature drums that much on the first LP even less afterward.

Ok, I give, what is CS&N. Crosby, Stills and Nash without the Young? May I ask which album?

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 03:57:10 PM
Thoburn,

Yes, Crosby, Stills and Nash, and I believe the album is simply called "CSN" -- it's the one with Wooden Ships and several other great (IMO) tracks, of ccourse which I can't remember offhand.

One of the few albums from my collection that I do actually missh having.

-- Jim

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 04:14:50 PM
CSN, and CSN&Y as well.  Those boys could really harmonize.  Many years ago I had Four Way Street on vinyl and wore it down pretty good.  That's been on my short list of new vinyl to acquire.  I need to get my Seduction built.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline jrihs

Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 05:36:22 PM
Welcome back to vinyl Jim///Welcome back to vinyl Jim///Welcome back to vinyl Jim///Welcome back to vinyl Jim///Welcome back to vinyl Jim...(its skipping, get it..;-).

John Rihs

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 12:04:40 AM
Hey Jim,
Sorry I did not see your post until now, been working and sleeping for the past 7 days. Yes, I live in Fountain, south of Colo. Springs and work in Woodland Park. I wanted to mention that I have found the Clear Audio TTs extremely accurate, detailed, and quiet but a little on the cold side for vinyl. I was using the nano phonostage, but I built a Hackintosh for a friend and he traded a Jolida phonostage, and it warmed the sound right up. IMO these tables need tubes, I plan on ordering an Eros as soon as I have saved enough, let me know what you think of the combo.

Cheers,
Shawn P.

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 04:50:25 AM
Shawn,

Will-do.  BTW, I'm in Boulder, so not too awfully far away.

-- Jim

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 12:50:06 AM
Hey Jim,
Just recieved my yearly catalog from Music Direct and found some interesting things. Clearaudio has two new tables, Performance SEP and the Ovation, based on the basic concept design. Now we know why they named it Concept. Also, there is a really cool old-style turntable from Luxman. I really like it's looks, but the $6400.00 price-tag seems a little steep to me. Just thought you might like to check them out.

Cheers,
Shawn P.

Shawn Prigmore