New Convert to the Bottlehead/Paramount Family

Gerry E. · 13588

Offline mchurch

Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 09:27:27 AM
Gerry;

I agree with your opinion and those of the quotes. I have upgraded my caps and resistors as well as the BH power cords. Being an old time employer of the engineering group for a major fuse manufacturer I am still not convinced about the fuses. I currently use KR 300Bs, Electro Harmonix 300Bs, and Genelex PX300Bs. I have used EML in the past and liked them as well. Right now I am waiting for the KR clones to try them out. The only resin for the choice was the warranty and local availability. The last EMLs I bought were from NY but I got cleaned out by UPS brokerage fees coming here to Canada and customs duties as the country of origin was not the US. I have done a lot of listening tests with tubes and personally I am not in love with Chinese products. This is not a bias thing, it is purely based on my listening experiences.

I also had thoughts like yours regarding the AC vs DC but those concerns no longer exist for me. Also I support the comments made by Xavier, this weekend I had the opportunity to audition some very expensive mono bloc amps at a local shop and he had the same speakers I had. I found that they were not any better than my Paramounts with the upgraded CAPs and resistors. My next step will be Magnaquest iron which I have been told, takes things up a notch.

By the way I am very interested in your open baffle speakers, what are the drivers and is there any specs available for the cabinets? I would like to try my hand at speakers this year.

Cheers;

Mike

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 01:07:05 PM
Hey Mike:

Here

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 01:38:25 PM
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:38:28 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline mchurch

Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 01:46:39 PM
Gerry

Thanks for the information about the speakers now I know where to start. As far as fuse go I will never doubt anyone who says they hear the difference. With all of the knowns about electrics there are probably a lot of unknowns yet to be discovered or explained. I am sure I will also try a set myself soon just to see the difference myself. There have been a number of people like yourself who have heard an improvement so who I am I to doubt them. After the improvement I heard with my BH power cords I believe anything is possible. I always thought that living here in a older apartment building so far away from the power source and with hundreds of fridges and dishwashers in the circuits, I would hear no difference but I was wrong.

Anyway I'll give them a try and let you know how it goes.

Grainger;

Thanks for the info now I now I am on the right track in my thinking!!

Cheers for now.

Mike

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 05:26:23 AM
Hey Jerry - Interesting rig you have there! Very cool!

I see you have a v-cap on your tweeter. How do you like the teflon v, and how has it compared to other high end caps in your experience?

thanks much
Eric

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 11:27:16 AM

I see you have a v-cap on your tweeter. How do you like the teflon v, and how has it compared to other high end caps in your experience?

Hi Eric:

I

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 01:56:36 PM
Thanks Gerry - buying used caps is a good idea - I will have to consider that.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline John Roman

Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 09:01:24 AM
Cool pic's of the drivers. No crossovers?

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 05:36:50 AM
Cool pic's of the drivers. No crossovers?

Hi John:

I view crossovers as a necessary evil.  However, it turns out that they aren
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 05:56:20 AM by Gerry E. »