Noise in Paramour

Chance · 3567

Offline Chance

on: December 11, 2011, 03:48:50 AM
I am going to preface this with, I am not the best troubleshooter in town. Background my system is rotel cd, rega p3, foreplay II, seduction, paramours, and heresys. But I have not listened to vinyl in awhile. I built everything stock and have had 8 or so years. I am having some periodic pop, noise, static in one of my paramours. It can be and usually is loud and consitent once it starts. I have switch cords, speakers, tubes etc between channels and am fairly certain it is the one particular paramour. I just put new tubes in and the problem persists. I went through and checked voltages and everything looked ok. Yesterday I listed about and hour before the noise showed up. This morning it made noise after about 15 minutes.

What else should I be checking?

Thanks.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 05:52:35 AM
How about cell phone noise?

John Scanlon

Offline Chance

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 05:57:44 AM
There are not usually cell phones in that room nor are there any other electronic devices.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 06:28:58 AM
The first thing to do is reflow all of the solder joints.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Chance

Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 07:10:23 AM
Ok. I will give that a try.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 10:06:01 AM
It could be an outside power system noise.  I thought there was something bad wrong with my Seduction and it turned out to be an old (50's) refrigerator I had recently plugged in on the same circuit, not the same circuit breaker, just the same AC leg in the breaker panel.

After flowing the solder joints try to see if it is in only one channel.  If so swap the amps, then swap interconnects, see if it is in the FP 2.  Swap tubes in the Seduction, see if it swaps sides.

All I'm saying is to find where the problem is before getting too far into it.

Offline Chance

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 01:39:22 PM
I tried reflowing the solder joints. And I have swapped everything and am positive if is just the one particular paramour. I still have the noise after the reflow. I will have to go thru more thoroughly when I have time off over the holidays.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 01:56:21 PM
When the sound re-appears, try wiggling the tubes a bit in the socket. Sometimes it can a bad contact developing when things heat up in the tube socket.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 02:04:20 PM
Doc beat me to the tube socket thing.

Look at the C4S boards (I assume they are installed?) - are there signs of heat around the large transistor? Are the solder joints good?

Paul Joppa

Offline Chance

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 08:26:49 AM
Well as suggested once the noise reappeared I moved the base of the 2A3 around some. I hit a sweet spot and it went back to dead quite. I have put several hours of listening over a few days since then and no more noise. I think the problem is solved. Thanks for the help and happy holidays.