Speakers

tyerkey · 12493

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 06:49:03 AM
Laudanum, be aware that JBL periodically makes a batch of kits for a legacy driver, and when that batch is gone it can be a few years before another batch is made. I suppose the demand is too low to keep every kit in stock all the time. When I had my LE-8's reconed, I sat on them for many mobths until a new batch had just appeared after several years of being unavailable. As far as I know, JBL never admits there will be another batch, or gives a date for it - you just have to keep checking.

Also, a friend who was less patient bought an aftermarket foam surround that was specifically designed for the LE8-T. It was so stiff that the resonance frequency doubled, to around 80Hz! So just because the part is an exact mechanical fit, it does not mean that it is a suitable part. In the case of the LE8, I suspect that the original surround is not available because it is subject to foam rot, and new ones - even the JBL - are made from a more resiliant material and are at least a little stiffer.

I have not put mine in a box yet, but I am looking at Clark's "Thrasher" box for experimenting; I think it's around 3 cubic feet. I had another pair of LE8's re-coned as 2115s, 3dB more efficient but not quite as flat a response. I am looking forward to comparing them!

Paul Joppa

Offline Laudanum

Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 12:54:48 AM
Hi Paul.  Yes, you warned me about this in an earlier post which is exactly why I have been waiting, impatiently, to get these things restored the right way.  I have the part number for the JBL repair kit.  Need to give them a another call.  I also think I may have found a contact here, fairly local, that has the skinny on these drivers.  They do sell an afermarket foam but they know what's up in terms of the JBL kit and what really needs to be done to keep them original.  I need to call them this week, they may be able to fix them up proper, now.   There is also another place in Indiana that I remembered just yesterday.  A very exeperienced ex-JBL guy that was very helpful with some different drivers in the past.  I need to call him as well.    The speaker shop which is 30 minutes from me (remaining nameless)  has been a dissapointment despite their excellent reputation (or atleast it used to be excellent).  It seems that they just want to throw anything that will work on these speakers to make a buck ... and they are JBL authorized.  Sad.  I used to trust these guys, they've been around forever.   Oh well, the quest will continue.

Thanks again.

Desmond G.

Offline John Roman

Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 11:25:06 AM
I'll toss my 02 cents worth in. I have a pair of Fostex 208 Sigma's that are very good bang for the buck, IMO. They are 8" and currently used in an open baffle design. There are so many variables it can be and usually is very confusing. Thing is if you're not careful you end up spending more on the DIY effort than a decent pair of store bought speakers. That is easily complicated if you can't audition the design you're considering. Good luck with the speaker adventure and if you are interested check this site out:
blackdahlia.com/tipofthemonth
tip # 71

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay