Audio to USB converter

butchbass · 7001

Offline butchbass

on: January 27, 2012, 03:04:53 PM
Does any one know of a stand alone  analog to USB converter, one that is 96/24? I would like to start putting some of my old albums on my music server.

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 05:12:20 PM
Quite a few sound cards will allow you to go RCA "in" to a PC and record at 24/96.  I have an M-audio Audiophile 2496 card but have never used it for recording.  It will do it and these cards can often be found used on ebay for well under $100.

I know there are some stand-alone interfaces that connect to the PC's USB.  I'm not sure how these would work hooked directly to a music server, though.

Also, you might want to check the resolution limits of USB.  My understanding is that USB has difficulty with resolutions that high.  I could be wrong about this or there may now be a workaround.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 03:36:24 AM
I am interested in this myself, I have a little phonostage with usb out but from what I have read usb can't handle the higher resoulution. I wonder if a stand alone ADC with digital out and you had a card that would accept digital in would yield better results than an ADC on the card itself?

Cheers,
Shawn P.

Shawn Prigmore

Offline vanofmonks

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 04:24:02 AM
USB 1.1 can handle up to 24/96, depending on the chip in the adc/dac.  I have the creative one which does 24/96, but I haven't used it to record yet.

Offline butchbass

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 10:39:42 AM
Is the creative one a brand?

Butch Gross

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 10:51:17 AM
Creative is the manufacturer/brand.  They are well known for their "Soundblaster" PC sound cards.  They make many products with a range of features.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Yoder

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 12:40:11 PM
Is the creative one a brand?

Creative Labs also handles the E-Mu brand--some good interfaces at low prices. A lot manufacturers are making USB and hybrid (USB and FW) interfaces that use ADC 24/192 specs--MOTU, Apogee, are a couple. http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/computer-audio/audio_interfaces/ is a good place to look. Apogee components hold their prices. I just sold my two year old FW Duet for the price that I paid for it. I would definitely shoot for 24/192.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:42:40 AM by Yoder »

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 03:17:25 PM
Just saw this the other day, but there's a new kid in town...

The HRT LineStreamer 24/96 ADC.

I have no idea how it sounds or what the price is, but my guess is that it is inline with other HRT products, which means very decent sound quality for not huge money.

Just passing this along.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 03:12:20 AM
butchbass,

There is a question implied in your question.  The phono needs preamplification and RIAA equalization before being digitized.  Do you want a box that takes care of both?

Offline butchbass

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 01:48:46 PM
No, I will eventually build an Eros. Just looking ahead to see what I'll need down the road.
Thanks

Butch Gross

Offline Yoder

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 01:20:49 PM
I have been doing a lot of research lately into this area. Once I get my Eros, then I plan on burning a few hundred jazz albums--many of which cannot be purchased via any medium today. Here is what I have found out. First, there are a lot of 24/92 ADC systems available...some USB and some FW. Many of the better systems can burn at 24/192 and this is the route that I think I am going to go.

One of the cheaper ones, but one that I have read a lot of rave reviews about is the Ross Martin PCM4222 ADC (it is at the bottom of the page). This page...http://rossmartinaudio.com/index_files/Page318.htm

I have been an Apogee fan for years, and I talked to a Sweetwater rep and he suggested that I go with the RME Babyface instead of the Apogee Duet II. That is if I decide not to go with the Apogee Rosetta 200, which from what I hear is a kicker of an ADC. It only has two channels, but once you get the FW card for it then you are in the same price range as the Benchmark ADC. The various reviews I have read put the Rosetta above the Benchmark. I was told that the Rosetta is superior to both the Babyface and Duet, and it should be since it cost twice as much.