how do you dry your vinyl after cleaning?

denti alligator · 24127

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 01:21:10 AM
The OP asks about drying but this has become a cleaning thread now.  I posted in the other thread that I use a VIP 16.5 with Osage Audio's AIVS #15 and AIVS Ultrapure H2O rinse.  My regimen takes 10 minutes for two sided LPs.  It includes scrubbing with the cleaner and letting the cleaner work for 3 minutes per side while keeping it wet.

Like Shawn I use 2 pickup tubes, one blue one black, and two DD brushes (labeled).  Somewhere I detailed the process including a new MOFI rice paper sleeve for all cleaned LPs and an outer poly sleeve for the album cover.

I cleaned some LPs for another Bottlehead who was wondering if his records could be cleaned.  The answer was, yes, but it is expensive.

When Elusive Disk moved warehouses back in the mid 90s they had a sale on everything.  I got the 16.5 for $300.  You would be lucky to get it used today for that price.  I buy a quart of the #15 and rinse for ~$80 every 18-24 months.  It cleans better than any other cleaner I have used.  I have used 4 other fluids.

Osage Audio

Kevin, I clean my brushes and pick up tubes after every session in tap water, diluted Dawn with a final rinse with distilled water.  

I could surely see using the DD brushes to clean and rinse with the NG as a vacuum and dry cycle.  That is much cheaper than the VIP.  Paully has a NG and really loves it.  The TT on the VPI is only handy for spreading the fluid, but not for much else till you vacuum.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:25:36 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline richardl

Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 10:08:46 AM
You can buy them used in big bundles from diaper services for cheap.  They are the old ones, clean of course!  ;D
They work great and they have ZERO stray fibers like modern technoweenie cloth but CHEAP.  Richard

Offline Thoburn

Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 03:15:37 PM
I have a VPI 16.5 that I call my vinyl shop vac. I have not tried to dry records this way, but I do hang my fly fishing apparel in the shower stall to dry. Your shower may be devoid of cat hair and dust for the time it takes the records to dry. Just a thought anyway.

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline ssssly

Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 03:55:35 AM
I use compressed air and a microfiber towel.

I damp them off with the microfiber then put them on my old player for a spin and blow them off with compressed air till dry. Dry off the platter, flip repeat.

And before anyone asks, I have an adapter for my scuba tanks. So no oil or industrial residue.