help with troubleshooting

coors · 4759

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 01:15:19 AM
Something else was heard in the early days of the Eros a couple of years ago.  Several owners, not many, had tube rush.  That is a SSSHHHH noise that goes away as the tube cathode forms over 40 to 100 hours.  The EH tubes are new.  The cathodes hadn't been formed at all. 

The EH EF86s that I got were dead quiet.  I rolled them out because I had a stock of replacements and those were more to my liking.

Offline coors

Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 07:21:38 PM
Here is the update.
First off thanks for all your help and the great support. For the final evaluation I spoke with Shawn and he also helped me troubleshoot as a new tube was on its way.
I put the new tube in.  I had to use a different set up because previously in my zeal to use the Eros  I forgot to turn off my amp and blew out my midrange driver on my floor standing speaker.  Ouch, that is going to be an expensive stupid mistake to fix.
Now to the good news, after hooking my turntable up to the cinemag to my Eros into my SEX amp into my headphones I finally got to hear the music.  Ahhhhhh music again.

At around the same time I went hunting for tubes and found an individual that was very knowledgeable and honest.  After discussing with him, Jim McShane(no affiliation), my system and criteria I purchased 2 Tungsten Sol 806FG and 1 12BH7AEH NOS Japanese tube. 

So in the end it actually was the tubes that were bad.

Back to the music
Sam

Offline Grainger49

Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 03:15:46 AM
Jim is one of the known good guys in the business.  Good find!