Closed back, high impedance

alanh · 6388

Offline alanh

on: December 16, 2011, 04:35:49 PM
I'm looking at closed-back headphones because I have a small house and often listen while the TV is on in the same room. As a tube devotee, I'm thinking I want high-impedance. Any recommendations? Beyerdynamic DT-770?

Alan

Offline jrihs

Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:35:25 PM
Thats probably one of your best bets. Have you decided on a tubed head amp? I love my audiotechnica 1000 with my Yamamoto (tubed) amp (the amp was voiced for those cans), but they are only 30 ohms. PS, The AT's actually sounded great with the crack! Don't know why. I use Sennheisser HD-800's with the Crack now...

John Rihs

Offline Laudanum

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 03:34:04 AM
MB Quart QP 805 (QP 805 High Solid)  is a 300 ohm closed back.  I dont own the Beyer 770's but I do own both the 990 and 880 and like the Beyer sound.  The Quart phones are discontinued with some models still available.  There is a thread I posted a while back giving a heads up on the close out.  Anyway, the Quart 805's arent a bad phone at all at $129 bucks.  The headphone cable is literally like a vacuum cleaner cord which is a PITA but manageable.
Anyway, just listing them as another alternative in a Hi-Z closed back phone and I think the dealer (sonic electronix) that apparently got a bunch of the Quart headphone inventory still has some.   Some Bottleheads here jumped on the open back Quart model that was also being closed out by the same seller and they seem to regard them pretty highly at the 100 dollar price.  I think those are all gone by now.  If interested, do a search on the forum here for MB Quart.

Desmond G.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 12:49:42 PM
I'm using the Beyer-Dynamic DT770 pros with my upgraded Crack amp and I simply cannot find any fault whatsoever in the sound.  I would like to try some Open-back phones but I'm usually listening while my wife is sleeping next to me so I don't think that would work out.  For the price, I think any improvement over the 770s would take quite an ear to discern.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Laudanum

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 01:35:47 PM
I'd go for the 770 as well seeing how I like the Beyer sound.   Just presenting another hi-Z option in closed back phones.

Desmond G.

Offline Armaegis

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:07:28 PM
Most of the high end headphones with high impedance are all opened backed. Aside from the DT770, there's the Beyer T70 as well.

I find the DT770 to be quite bassy; almost overwhelming at times. The 250/600 models are a bit more controlled than the 80/32 models at least.

Offline alanh

Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 03:58:57 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Quarts. A few weeks ago I found one pair of the Quart 805s for $129 so I pulled the trigger. I must say they didn't impress out of the box but after a few hours they've relaxed significantly. Well worth the money and built like a tank. They're hard to find but are a good choice for <$200.

I'm using a modded Quickie driven by another preamp. I have the parts to make a White cathode follower 5687. Of course, Crack is the next BH step.

Alan Hiebert

Offline Laudanum

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 03:42:04 AM
Thanks for the tip on the Quarts. A few weeks ago I found one pair of the Quart 805s for $129 so I pulled the trigger. I must say they didn't impress out of the box but after a few hours they've relaxed significantly. Well worth the money and built like a tank. They're hard to find but are a good choice for <$200.

I'm using a modded Quickie driven by another preamp. I have the parts to make a White cathode follower 5687. Of course, Crack is the next BH step.

Alan Hiebert

Glad I could help Alan.  They are a nice phone for the price.  I find them a little bright on some material but they are fleshed out with a good bass response so they dont sound thin and bright and I dont find them fatiquingly bright.  I think they are a fine match with Crack.   In fact, my biggest peeve with them has nothing to do with the sound, as I mentioned, it is the Vacuum cleaner like cord.  I need to see if I can do something about that, but you are right, they are build like a tank and that cord is as well  :-)

Desmond G.