One approach to selecting and Configuring a Mac Mini as a music server

Jim R. · 23267

Offline Yoder

Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 11:18:31 AM
Ok, so one more attempt at trying to explain the advantage of integer mode and then I think it's time to move on.  The intent of this thread is as a how-to for folks who want a proven, reliable, superb sounding music server and for the most part, don't want to become computer tweakers and Mac tech gurus.

So once more, this thread is intended as a how-to, not for debating the merits of different playback software, advanced system configurations beyond those that have been proven to be robust and within the means of people who don't want to spend their time tweaking their computers and becoming Mac gurus, an who want to take advantage of the inherent excellent sound quality potential in the basic mac mini computer.

Sorry if I offended. I was merely trying to make sense of the notion that "integer mode is better than floating." I prefer to read data than go on subjective evidence...nothing more. I was also trying to clear-up the mis-information that "Lion does not use integer mode audio," when in fact it does. There have been problems with the lack of USB drivers using integer mode, but given where Jobs was going I would not be surprised if he is trying to phase out USB and replace it with Thunderbolt. Great idea!

Regarding becoming "computer tweakers and Mac tech gurus," most of the suggestions I made can be done from OS X System Preferences. This is basic OS use that anyone who uses a Mac should know. Granted, those moving from Windows may be confused initially, but it does not take long to figure out that OS X is far easier than Windows.

Regarding what Mac2 does to the OS, can be done by almost anybody. I find the $399 price tag a bit high when someone can turn off most of the utilities that they do, do their own stripped down install, etc, themselves for nothing, then this type of information should be made available...it is what DIY is all about. Granted, Mach2 does it the easy way by running a script, but Apple makes it easy for the end-user to perform the same tasks using System Preferences. I do take exception though when Mach2 says: "We strip out almost 1.5GB of unnecessary code." This is misleading. They may not install certain apps such as Garageband, iPhoto, iMovie, Quicktime, etc., but this is not OS code per se that they are removing as they imply on their site. When they run their scripts they are disabling certain tasks by communicating with the OS. The OS code still remains the same, unless they are Apple developers and are manipulating the OS themselves and redistributing it which would be a clear violation of Apple's EULA...I am certain that they don't it this way. Anyway, the page I linked to merely provides options for people to do basically what Mach2 does, only for nothing. http://www.co-bw.com/Audio_OSX_Optimal_Audio.htm

Also, when I mentioned SL it was not to convert people to techies but was merely being used as part of a monolog on debunking the mis-information that non-Apple external USB CD drives cannot be used with Lion, especially if one is trying to boot from an external drive. No harm, no foul, and certainly no intended motives or maliciousness on my part. In the end, I was merely trying to get some clarification and share some information. Remember, I am a mathematician/computer scientist by training and so when integer and floating point are compared then I look at the precision of the numbers. I am a self-admitted noob when it comes to analog circuitry and how it all works, and try to approach it all logically.

Just merely trying to have a friendly discussion and learn something in the process.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 12:39:39 PM by Yoder »

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 01:50:45 PM
Well, since there is no need for floating point conversions back and forth, the data stream from audio file to dac is untouched and that alone should make it better -- and it does.  In your first example, in fact, a value of 35.6 will be quantized to 35 -- but that is a discrete value in the range of the 16/20/24/332 bit word that then maps to the relative output of the dac, not an absolute audio value of 35.6.  Integer mode does sound significantly better and you yourself admit that you haven't tried it, so it seems you are just going on theoretical concerns rather than what actually happens.  Yes, I realize that Amarra does not support integer mode -- because while it does bypass core audio, it uses an internal floating point format for everything.

As for what Mach2 does, I'm again sorry, but it is far more invloved than you make it out to be.  They do remove/modify certain parts of the os code, but as they do it on an individual basis, for a fee, they are not redistributing the os, just performing a service for pay.  Again here, the proof is in the listening -- in comparing a mach2 mini to a highly end-user tweaked machine, but still playing the same files though the same version of PureMusic/Amarra, whatever is indeed a very noticeably better sonic experience.  On top of thatand separate from that are the launch scripts for the various music playback apps, which terminate even more background processes when you launch your PureMusic/Amarra/watever using the script -- another very noticeable sonic upgrade over simply launching your music playback app directly from Finder or the dock.  And BTW, they do not remove the dock or the auto launch -- they do want to leave the option of running headless open for their customers as well as leaving the basic mac programs like email and safari still available.  Numerous people have started rumors that the tweaks that mach2 do are nothing special, yet nobody has yet been able to duplicate the same level of audio performance -- with or without the launch scripts.

So again, I'm trying to stick with the proven steps and tweaks and recommendations that bring the Mac Mini to the superb level of audio performance it is capable of, but whatever it is that the guys at Mach2 do, it is clearly, and I mean with no question, clearly,  a much higher performing setup.  Not speculation -- personal experience, and yes, subjective and no, no measurements were taken as I'm not sure they'd would mean much anyway or that any useful information would be had from them.

So, please no more attempts at debunking my findings based on theory -- if you've not tried it, please just let it go so I can get on with the how-to that these guys want.

And, as far as Liion and integer mode -- if Rob Robinson -- formerly of bell labs and who wrote PureMusic (and who also uses double precision 64-bit fp in his internal format when needed( says that integer mode does not work in Lion, I trust he knows what he's saying.  In fact, you are the first person I've ever seen that claims that integer mode is available in Lion.

Ok, seriously hope that this is the end of theoretical discussion based on speculation and not actual experience.  I'd really like to get back to getting these folks up and running with a good, solid, well known set of choices and procedures to get a very high quality mac mini based server.  As I alsosaid, the final installements will be all about taking things to the limit -- mach2 mods, external dc supplies, specialty cables etc.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline johnsonad

Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 02:26:51 PM
Jim!  You have convinced me to do this!  I've been running a full server and windows based system into a Transporter and have wanted a much smaller and quiter solution.  PLEASE focus and keep on topic :) 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:55:36 PM by johnsonad »

Aaron Johnson

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 03:54:17 PM
Hey Aaron,

Great to see you on board!  Coming from a similar setup (though not the transporter), I'm sure you'll be very happy with the ultimate results -- not only is there less mechanical/ambient noise (essentially none) but the sound quality leap is pretty remarkable.

Hopefully more tomorrow as I hope to be out of bed and back on my feet.

Things are going great here -- music has never sounded better, organization is in process and new capabilities for building more kinds of things at home in all kinds of weather are slowly coming online, and if all goes well, someday this summer I may start offering custom builds of select BH products.

Good to hear from you again,

Jim
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:39:07 AM by jrebman »

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 06:22:46 AM
As for moving the OS image, I'd just suggest a complete new reinstall of the OS, and then you can customize it by leaving out all the unnecessary fonts, printer drivers, language translations and iLife and other apps that only take up space, increase boot time and can slow things down.

Thats what I'd prefer as well. Does the Mac Mini come with install discs or would I need to purchase them?

I think I may have encountered another hurdle. I just found out that iTunes does not play FLAC files. Is this still an issue if PureMusic/Amarra apps are used? I wont be too happy if I have to convert nearly a Terra-byte of FLAC files to something iTunes "allows." This kind of throws cold water on my Mac Mini enthusiasm at the moment. Hopefully someone can come in here and calm my anxiety.   

Offline Yoder

Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 06:34:43 AM
Thats what I'd prefer as well. Does the Mac Mini come with install discs or would I need to purchase them?

I think I may have encountered another hurdle. I just found out that iTunes does not play FLAC files. Is this still an issue if PureMusic/Amarra apps are used? I wont be too happy if I have to convert nearly a Terra-byte of FLAC files to something iTunes "allows." This kind of throws cold water on my Mac Mini enthusiasm at the moment. Hopefully someone can come in here and calm my anxiety.   

If you get a new mini then you will not get any install disks and you cannot . You can buy it on a USB for $69. They do everything over the internet now. What I did was take it into to an Apple service center...not one owned by Apple...and I bought the SSD from them, they installed it and put the OS on it at the same time. They also left the original OS on the original drive as a back-up. When I installed Lion onto my MBP, I had no options for selecting what exactly I wanted to install...you get one option, everything.

Amarra does have an option for converting FLAC files to Aiff, and there is some freeware out that does the same thing. I would imagine the PM provides the same service.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 09:15:51 AM
Tom,

PureMusic can natively play flac files as well as DSD files (natively if he dac supports it, or on-the-fly conversion to PCM format otherwise.

Also, for some reason I got install discs with my 2011 macbook air, even though i doesn't have a cd drive.

Sorry for the short answer but it's back to bed for me.  Back online in a day or two...

-- Jim

Offline Yoder

Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 10:26:31 AM

Also, for some reason I got install discs with my 2011 macbook air, even though i doesn't have a cd drive.

Is it running Snow Leopard or Lion? SL shipped with disks, but when I got my new Lion mini in 2011 there were no disks. It is now Apple's official policy that future OS releases will on be available via download from the Apple Store. You can still buy SL disks, a Lion USB but no disks, and that will be the end of hard OS mediums as we know it. You cannot use the SL disk on any new Mac. There is a workaround, it is not hard to do. The hard part was in figuring out what had to be done to do it properly. If anyone is interested in installing SL on a new Mac, then I could show them how to do it via a tutorial build.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:32:33 AM by Yoder »

Offline John Roman

Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 06:10:20 AM
Jim,
As interesting as this thread is I'd like to read more about the nuts and bolts of your set up. No offense intended to anyone contributing but we seem to have strayed from the initial goal. Just my 2 cents
Thanks,
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Yoder

Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 08:44:01 AM

As interesting as this thread is I'd like to read more about the nuts and bolts of your set up. No offense intended to anyone contributing but we seem to have strayed from the initial goal. Just my 2 cents

My bad, I didn't realize that "Selecting and Configuring a Mac Mini as a music server" translated to "What You Got?" Just being a smart-ass.

Currently I have a:

Macmini 5,2 (the new ones)
Intel i7 2.7 GHz with 4Gb of 1333 RAM--will upgrade to 8Gb within a month
The boot drive is a Corsair 64 Gb SSD, and there is a 7200 500 Gb internal slave drive used as the back-up. I have 2-external Glyph drives (4 Tb) that are also used as back-ups and one of them feeds my audio.
I am running Amarra that feeds into a DIP Combo word clock via TOSLINK, and use EyeTV when I want to watch a movie or some TV
There are also two CD Players the feed into the DIP, but only one art a time (a SACD, and then a HHB 850+ for the Redbook stuff.)
The DIP then feeds into a 24/96 tube DAC/Preamp, and this feeds into a 25 wpc power amp and a Crack/Speedball with HD-650's
The speakers are B&W CM1's
Everything is plugged into a Monster Pro 2500 power conditioner/surge protector
I use a Sony external DVD/CD RW for my disk needs
All interconnects are DIY using solid silver wire
Currently, I am waiting for parts to build the C7 power cable.

The unit above sits at the end of the bed and is used for both audio playback and TV/movie viewing.

Once the BH DAC is made available then I will build an audio unit for downstairs using a BH DAC and get a new Mac mini. Currently, I am finishing up some Paramonts, Foreplay III, and will build another Crack. The BH unit will also have an Eros Phono Preamp, a still to be determined turntable, and will drive some Tonian MK II's speakers.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 05:57:10 AM
The MBA is running Lion, as is the Mini server, but the mini did not come with discs.

Folks,

I'm starting to get back on my feet, and will resume tomorrow when I can get down to my office where my notes and minis are.

Sorry for the sporadic posts but I wasn't planning on getting ill.

And no, it's not really a whatcha got thread -- it is a how-to and that's where I'd like it to stay.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 06:36:40 AM
Ok folks, I'm somewhat back on my feet and am ready to continue this series on choosing and configuring a Mac Mini for use as a music server.

Anyway, a couple of basic principles to go over first:

1) For best sonic performance you don't want your data on the same drive as the operating system and playback software  -- this shouldn't be new to anybody who has done computer based audio -- whether for listening or recording -- a separate data drive is always recommended.

2) You want to use an external drive for music storage, and one that is using a different type of interface than your DAC.  In other words, most people will be using a USB DAC or USB -> SPDIF converter, so the data drive in this case should be firewire.  I can't at this point recommend Thunderbolt as it is relatively untested, though could potentially be the better choice over firewire, though the drives are still really expensive.  If you plan to use only a TOSLink output to your dac, then either firewire or USB should work, but even here, the anecdotal evidence is that firewire sounds better.

3) For maximum performance, it is highly recommendede that the external firewire drive use the Oxford 834 chipset -- the Mercury on-the-go portable drives and enclosures from OCW, and the Oyen Firewire 800 mini-pro drives use this chipset, and I've used both and can tell no real difference between hem.

For USB external drives, the WD Passport portable drives always seem to get high marks -- and I can say from my own experience with one of these that it is a nice USB drive.

4) Choose a 5400  RPM drive over a 7200 one -- the speed is of no real consequence except when indexing new music files and the 5400 rpm drives are physically and electricially quieter.

Now, back to the subject of OS/program boot SSD drives...

Not all SSDs are created equal and as technology changes, recommendations are bound to as well.  I use an Intel 40 gb drive in my ultra tricked out mini, which has been fine, but right now the best recommendations are the OCZ Vertex 3 and Crucial drives for use in the Mac Minis.  40-60 gb is plenty, so get whatever is less expensive unless you have some need for  more storage (some people dual-boot if they don't dedicate their machines to music playback, so you would need a partitiion for an optimized OS instance for music playback, and another for office and home applications.  Generally not recommended, but people have done it and like the results, but how to do this and manage it is beyond the scope of this intro article.

Finally, unless you want to go to some fancy cabling and a high quality external power supply for the music storage drive, a buss- powered one is fine.  To really get any benefit beyond that you'll need a special FW cable that has no power leg in it, and combine it with an external, linear, regulated power supply, but there is only one such cable and it is expensive.  It is BTW, a very nice upgrade for later on.  Also, the firewire 800 cables that come with most of these drives are adequate, but I found the cables from unibrain to be a nice improvement without much extra cost.  Like the power cable to the mini itself, it is worth playing with both the direction of the FW cable, as well which of the two ports on the external drive you plug it into.  The differences won't be earth-shattering, but in the right system, you should be able to hear them, but how much is going to vary greatly from system to system, etc.

If you plan to use a USB external music storage drive, do yourself a favor and get a decent usb cable -- the Wireworld UltraViolet or StarLight with the appropriate connector (B, mini-B, or Micro-B) will be a nice upgrade -- and as with the firewire ports, experiment with which usb port on the mini sounds best.  More on how to optimize these things in another installment.

Of course, if you have the money and can live with constantly refreshing your listening library, an external SSD can be another big step up.

So, to recap:

external music storage should use a different interface than the dac, should be buss powered (as a starting point), should use the Oxford 834 chipset for FW and should be 5400 rpm to cut down on mechanical and electrical noise.

For usb storage, the WD passport drives seem to be the go-to choice, but also benefit from a better quality usb cable.

OCZ Vertex 3 and Crucial SSDs are recommended for the mini (but if you have something else, don't sweat it, just use what you have now.)  You can buy configured external drives or bare cases for installing your own drives from Oyen Digital and OWC (note the OWC enclosures are plastic and seem to make more mechanical noise than the aluminum ones from Oyen.

And, depending on how much hi-res content you have, you can start with 500g or 1 tb drives, and with firewire you can daisy chain them and just add more drives as your collection grows.

Next installment I'll go over some basic tweaks to iTunes, the operating system, drive formatting considerations, etc.  Then, aside from some more advanced tweaks, and of course ripping and loading your music files and choosing and configuring your playback software of choice, you should be ready to start playing tunes.

Note, you will need a keyboard and display to get through all this and to get things setup for headless operation, but once that is done you should only need them for making any changes.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline ralph

Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 12:15:16 PM
I don't want to throw a monkey wrench in the works here, but I just do not get it at all. If you are using a remote DAC ie not internal to the computer, and your system interconnects are properly shielded, and system componets are properly grounded.......
Who cares about a tiny bit of noise in the computer. You are not taking any audio signal from the computer.

Also, as long as the computer is not really "busy" there is way more CPU capacity than is needed for the playing of music. Same for disc speed.  
P
I must say the same about power cords. I just don't see how a 3' section of exotic following all the household wiring does anything but drain ones wallet.

Sorry, don't mean to step on toes, but I just had to say my 2 cents worth

PS. Lion does allow you to specify 24 bit integer output

Ralph
Taos,New Mexico
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:23:27 PM by ralph »

Ralph Howey     
Taos, New Mexico

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 02:14:50 PM
If I have learned anything in my few years in the audio business, it is that stuff I didn't think would matter often does. Thus I don't usually naysay something unless I have tried it myself - even something I don't think will make a difference. I have been surprised more than once.

RE power cords, I suspect everyone gets that one backwards. Quite likely it's not about what comes in on the line, it's what your gear is putting back into the line and all of your other gear. I suspect fancy powercords are mostly filtering out junk from the gear they are plugged into.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ralph

Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 02:26:02 PM
Doc,
Not necessarily naysaying, just trying to get my hard head around this,

Ralph

Ralph Howey     
Taos, New Mexico