One approach to selecting and Configuring a Mac Mini as a music server

Jim R. · 23264

Offline ralph

Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 02:30:24 PM
True, but where is the engineering behind this? What I need to see is math and science to tell me that these things can have an impact on the audio signal delivered to the DAC

Ralph

Ralph Howey     
Taos, New Mexico

Offline Grainger49

Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 02:54:25 PM
Ralph,

We have taken this too far off the subject.  You have a PM.  

The above post removed.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:02:03 PM by Grainger49 »

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 02:56:48 PM
Could we please try and stay on topic, the last thing we need is to rehash the whole powercord "discussion". I suggest we take Jim's contribution for what it is, recommendations based on his own personal experience. Sorry, just had to say it.....
Sorry Grainger you posted just before I did, thanks.

Cheers,
Shawn
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:59:22 PM by Noskipallwd »

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Yoder

Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 03:25:07 PM
In general I'm also speaking about running the mini as a dedicated music server and generally headless (no keyboard, mouse, or display).  Notebooks tend to have a lot of stuff crammed into an even smaller space, have high voltage dc-to-dc converters on board to supply the voltage needed for displays, and are generally built for ultimate compactness, not lowest noise.  Likewise with desktops and
iMacs, etc. -- there's no way to really get too far from the display noise and power supplies, etc.  Of course a lot of this is really just logical speculation, but the results keep coming back that the Minis just work best for audio, and that's the best answer I can give to all of this.
Jim

I don't know why you would want to go "headless" or even how you could do it without buying an iPhone or iPad to run the mini remotely. My mini is about three feet from the monitor and the monitor does not have any affect on the sound. When I play audio late at night while laying in bed I will turn the monitor off and once I accidentally unplugged it from the mini and there is/was no effect on the audio quality. Also, since one has supposedly turned off all of the power saving stuff the user will want to power down the mini when it is not being used. It is not an easy task to shut down a mini with no monitor. Amarra runs iTunes simultaneously and iTunes always interrupts the shut-down process even when using the hot-keys <CMD-OPT-CNTRL-EJECT>. Also, how would you load your songs into cache, access the equalizer, make changes to the audio software, use the Activity Monitor, and do all that needs to be done when setting-up the audio to run, etc., without a monitor?

The biggest disadvantage of not going headless is that if one wants to use the mini as part of a theater system. The mini does have HDMI, and so it would be a natural progression to use the mini to drive the audio for movies viewed on the 50" plasma/LED TV. Here the TV would be the monitor.

Regarding using the mini as being the only viable Apple option for audio. If one were to run a MBP in clamshell mode then it would be equally as successful if one had an internal SSD, had a dual-boot option, and used external drives for the audio. The beauty with this system is you have a monitor when needed, and there is always the portability.

Offline InfernoSTi

• Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.
Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 05:57:48 PM
I run my Mac Mini headless...I use the built in "screen share" function and use my Macbook Pro's screen, keyboard, and track pad to control my Mini.  I do have a video out for connecting to my flat screen TV but leave that disconnected until I wish to use it (rare).  I also keep a set of USB mouse/keyboard handy in case I need to run the Mini directly (only have done that a handful of times).  It couldn't be more slick than to have two Macs and run them both off my laptop.  Oh, and I rarely reboot the Mac Mini.  It is so stable, it doesn't need rebooting like other machines. Unix based software is great at running 24/7. 

And I noticed a step up in performance when I converted from a USB external drive to the Oyen FW800 drive.  I back the Oyen up onto my USB drive regularly so I have two copies of my music files (you never know).  I suppose I should store the second copy at work or off-site.  Just for good measure.

Thank you everyone who has contributed to this thread and for helping to keep it on target.

Cheers,
John

John Kessel
Hawthorne Audio AMT K2 Reference Speakers
Paramount 300B w/MQ All Nickel Iron,  Mundorf S/G 5.5 uF,  and  Vcap Teflon .1 uF
Auralic Taurus Preamp/Auralic Vega DAC/Auralic Aries Streamer
and lots of room treatments!

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 07:44:38 AM
Folks, first, my dad is going in for open heart surgery on Monday morning to replace a valve,do a bypass and roto-rooter a carotid artery, so I'm a bit preoccupied at the moment -- again, sorry, had no idea this was coming.

Ralph, I really wish I could explain all these things in rational, rigid scientific terms, but a) that is not the intent of what I'm doing here, and b) I'm not sure anybody really can at this point.  Also, noise in digital circuits is often not perceptible as "noisy noise" but as shifts in tonality, dynamics, soundstage and imaging, subtle textures, perceived timing, glare, etc. -- some of these are known some are not, but if the listening environment is up to the task, the changes as you remove or deal with more and more potential noise sources becomes rather apparent.

Yoder, please re--read what I have posted -- I do run the system in my listening room with a usb keyboard and a pair of iPod type collapsible headphones plugged into the mini's 3.5mm audio out, and I did tell people that they will need a monitor and keyboard to install and configure things and to make larger changes, rip CDs (unless they do it on another workstation) and so on.  I actually find it hard to believe you find it necessary to challenge me on whether running a mini as a headless music server is  viable -- people do it all the time (thanks for the input, John) and yes, I do use an iPod Touch for that, but just about any laptop or idevice will do.

Now, you have said something that really confirms my suspicion when you say that you can't hear a difference when you unplugged the monitor.  What you confirmed is that, whether it be the gear, the local power grid, your room acoustics or your listening preferences/prejudices, you and I are not hearing the same things at all.  Un plugging the monitor from the mini was a very significant clearing of the sound in my system.  It is often the case as well, that removing something (rather than adding) is often a more obvious test of the effect that piece has on the overall sound.  I've also become quite good over the years at determining (to my ears) if a change is truly an upgrade or a lateral or backwards move -- most are lateral at best, from what I can tell.  In other words, they are different, not necessarily better.  So, this is not a challenge to your manhood, not a slam of your gear or anything like that, just a fact that apparently you, for whatever reason, are not getting the same kind of sonic picture that I am.  And that is just fine -- it simply doesn't matter at all to anybody -- if you like what you hear, and are satisfied with it, then so be it.  Who am I to tell you what you hear and how it effects your enjoyment -- and likewise, who are you to question and challenge me on what I hear and how I enjoy my music?  If it works for you... don't worry, be happy.

Now, did you say that a macbook in clamshell mode "should sound the same" or did you say "does" sound better or the same?  Again, I've tried this with my 2010 13" mbp and on a late 2009 white macbook and both were an equal step downwards from the mini.  Again, if you actually did this test and those are your results, fine -- they are not my results and they are not InfernoSTIs either (not to mention the many other people who have confirmed this for themselves.

So, once again, if this thread is of no interest to you, if you are not able to hear the differences in one of the more obvious changes (removing the monitor), and you want to continue to challenge inconsequential concepts such as running a mini headless, and if you continue to insist that things you have not tried for yourself *should* sound some particular way, then please just stop.  Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you follow my recommendations -- if they don't work for you, please just move along to another topic.

And just in case you didn't notice, I am not making a dime on this in any way shape or form, have nothing to sell, no product to push; just trying to help out some fellow music lovers get the most from their systems.  All this is doing is taking my time, effort and a bit more BS than I bargained for.  Maybe Bob was right -- can we continue the mac mini discussion without the animosity?  I guess not, and that is really a shame.  Very soon the constant challenges, offline nasty-grams and other BS is just going to make me throw in the towel, and I'll just write up a tutorial/how-to and email it to the guys who seem to be interested.

Thanks also to Dan, John K. Shawn,  Grainger and others for stepping in -- I do appreciate it.

So, I'm working on the next parts, but it involves a lot of fact checking and so on, and I'm also a little preoccupied at the moment, and we'll see how things go for my dad on Monday and then I'll know more about what to expect and when.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline ralph

Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 08:38:12 AM
It makes for an interesting discussion. Hope your dad comes thru ok

Ralph

Ralph Howey     
Taos, New Mexico

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #37 on: March 10, 2012, 08:59:49 AM
I will add that, if you read the forum rules (not that anyone seems to these days) I have asked that participants here share their firsthand experience. Not only does that imply that one should simply share their impression of an actual experiment they tried rather than offering hearsay, it also implies that one really needn't pooh pooh something that someone else has experienced. The need to explain why we hear what we hear often seems to trample over the point that we heard what we heard, or didn't hear what we didn't. Sometimes we just don't have enough info to front a hypothesis.

There's valuable info being posted in these threads by the participants, that I would like to see stay undiluted by the challenges and disagreement. And there are lots of other places on the internet where one can focus on fighting perceived indignities and the public expression of one's impatience if that seems necessary. I understand that participation on forums can be trying at times. It's trying for me right now as I see a group of guys I consider good friends showing frustration with each other. I'll suggest that if you have a different experience than someone else and you are drawing different conclusions, simply share it without challenging the other guy. Heck, start your own thread, it doesn't cost you a penny!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:01:55 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Yoder

Reply #38 on: March 10, 2012, 09:55:45 AM
Yoder, please re--read what I have posted -- I do run the system in my listening room with a usb keyboard and a pair of iPod type collapsible headphones plugged into the mini's 3.5mm audio out, and I did tell people that they will need a monitor and keyboard to install and configure things and to make larger changes, rip CDs (unless they do it on another workstation) and so on.  I actually find it hard to believe you find it necessary to challenge me on whether running a mini as a headless music server is  viable -- people do it all the time (thanks for the input, John) and yes, I do use an iPod Touch for that, but just about any laptop or idevice will do.

Now, you have said something that really confirms my suspicion when you say that you can't hear a difference when you unplugged the monitor.  What you confirmed is that, whether it be the gear, the local power grid, your room acoustics or your listening preferences/prejudices, you and I are not hearing the same things at all.  Un plugging the monitor from the mini was a very significant clearing of the sound in my system.  It is often the case as well, that removing something (rather than adding) is often a more obvious test of the effect that piece has on the overall sound.  I've also become quite good over the years at determining (to my ears) if a change is truly an upgrade or a lateral or backwards move -- most are lateral at best, from what I can tell.  In other words, they are different, not necessarily better.  So, this is not a challenge to your manhood, not a slam of your gear or anything like that, just a fact that apparently you, for whatever reason, are not getting the same kind of sonic picture that I am.  And that is just fine -- it simply doesn't matter at all to anybody -- if you like what you hear, and are satisfied with it, then so be it.  Who am I to tell you what you hear and how it effects your enjoyment -- and likewise, who are you to question and challenge me on what I hear and how I enjoy my music?  If it works for you... don't worry, be happy.

Now, did you say that a macbook in clamshell mode "should sound the same" or did you say "does" sound better or the same?  Again, I've tried this with my 2010 13" mbp and on a late 2009 white macbook and both were an equal step downwards from the mini.  Again, if you actually did this test and those are your results, fine -- they are not my results and they are not InfernoSTIs either (not to mention the many other people who have confirmed this for themselves.

So, once again, if this thread is of no interest to you, if you are not able to hear the differences in one of the more obvious changes (removing the monitor), and you want to continue to challenge inconsequential concepts such as running a mini headless, and if you continue to insist that things you have not tried for yourself *should* sound some particular way, then please just stop.  Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you follow my recommendations -- if they don't work for you, please just move along to another topic.

And just in case you didn't notice, I am not making a dime on this in any way shape or form, have nothing to sell, no product to push; just trying to help out some fellow music lovers get the most from their systems.  All this is doing is taking my time, effort and a bit more BS than I bargained for.  Maybe Bob was right -- can we continue the mac mini discussion without the animosity?  I guess not, and that is really a shame.  Very soon the constant challenges, offline nasty-grams and other BS is just going to make me throw in the towel, and I'll just write up a tutorial/how-to and email it to the guys who seem to be interested.

Jim, I think you are reading too much into things and are getting too personal. The only reference I saw regarding your stating the use of keyboard was: "Note, you will need a keyboard and display to get through all this and to get things setup for headless operation, but once that is done you should only need them for making any changes." I have always advocated the use of a monitor/TV if one wants to utilize an audio system (just unplug when listening only) while watching a flick or streaming video, not to mention the extensive OS tweaks that I and others like to perform. I am aware that people go headless, but in doing so most have a second Apple device. Not everyone can afford a second apple device, in which case the non-headless dual-boot format is the most affordable and should be addressed if we want to spread the "word." If one just has a MBP, then it is a viable option until a mini can be afforded...is there anything wrong with just putting it out there? I use my system for both audio and video and there may be others out there who want the same. I have clam shelled both a mid-2010 17" MBP, and 15" MBP i7 Quad. There were differences between the two and I would compare the 17" to the mid-2010 duo mini as far as audio quality goes, and the 15" MBP to my 2011 i7 5,2 mini. The only problem was that the first two were not running Amarra, and the last two newer Mac's were (I have eight Mac's in the house.) This leads to a point you brought up earlier. I said if the clam shell MBP had SSD, ran in dual-boot, and had external FW drives then it will be "equally as successful." A Mac Pro would probably blow the mini out of the water, but who can afford one?

Regarding the perceived improved sound when using Lion. The improved sound quality of Lion is the result of using the iX processors, having faster bus speeds, etc, and I am using two such a systems now (mini and 15" MBP.) Regarding what you say are differences in hearing is true. I am not taking personal jabs at you, but am merely posting alternatives and trying to stimulate dialog. Maybe some will hear things like you, and maybe some will hear things like me, or may be they will hear their own thing. The point is that we should entertain all ideas and go with where we can get the highest cost-performance ratio affordable.

When you say: "So, this is not a challenge to your manhood, not a slam of your gear or anything like that, just a fact that apparently you, for whatever reason, are not getting the same kind of sonic picture that I am.  And that is just fine -- it simply doesn't matter at all to anybody -- if you like what you hear, and are satisfied with it, then so be it.  Who am I to tell you what you hear and how it effects your enjoyment -- and likewise, who are you to question and challenge me on what I hear and how I enjoy my music?  If it works for you... don't worry, be happy." And, then to say that what I say "simply doesn't matter at all to anybody" is a rather vicious, vitriolic thing to say and unwarrented. Having worked with Mac's for years, been trained by Apple in hardware repair,and OS X Server, and been part of the Mac Developer Network then maybe, just maybe, there is something that matters to somebody on this forum when it comes to Mac's.

You also say: "Maybe Bob was right -- can we continue the mac mini discussion without the animosity?  I guess not, and that is really a shame," yet from the very beginning you said my theoretical speculations were not invited and I should take them elsewhere, implied that my objective facts (Lion running in integer mode) were so much bull-pucky and you mis-quoted Ron Robinson in doing so (I have the quote in the other thread,) and yet is was you in the center of the battle that closed the other thread. Furthermore, you came after me regarding my points of view on hard drive use, and when I gave my opinion that FW800 was far superior to USB and provided data to back it up then you again snapped at me. In both of these instances I did not respond. Finally, you spun your way out of my questing Mach2Music removing 1.8 Gb of OS code. BTW: they don't: 1) the OS is only 3.8 Gb in size and this mode code would virtually disable it, 2) when you talk of removing code you refer to lines of code not size, 3) the Apple Developer Network does not work this way, and 4) Apple does not allow such to happen per the EULA and ADN contract. What they do is go into the system and remove various items that will not be of any use. I unhid the system files and found about 2.5 Gb of sys apps/utls I could remove. I go over it some in the other thread. My point with Mach2, is that the end-user can do what they do themselves without spending $399. But, there are some who don't want to bother with it and so more power to them if they buy the tweak. For those who would rather do it themselves, then their wants should be respected and if there is information out there showing then let us lead the way.

I have admitted that I do not know all there is about audio, but I am learning and researching it profusely. Having taught for 24 years I have learned to answer questions that others may have and have learned to respect the needs of the learner, and not condemn them and put them in the corner for asking what may seem like mundane/trivial questions. With a forum new people are always coming in and have no idea what has been discussed in the past...no need to get our shorts tied-up in a knot when they do ask mundane questions. I imagine Doc has answered a few questions hundreds, if not thousands, of times over the years. Also, being almost 60 it takes more than disagreement to "challenge my manhood," in fact, there really is nothing that does such since I am happy with who I am. Anyway, it takes patience to teach and/or disseminate information. If someone brings up AC cords, and a noob comes in asking for some objectivity verification then those in the know should point it out as succinctly/politely as possible or point them to the thread, and go about the topic at hand.

Nobody here, well maybe except the BH crew, is making a dime. I spend a lot of time researching and building my Webhttp://www.co-bw.com site and I actually spend money to share my research and information.

I certainly hope that you are not saying that I am sending you "offline nasty grams." In fact, that statement is very misleading since you are lambasting me and then include the remark in the same post. For the public record, I have never sent Jim a "nasty gram." In fact, I have told you that I value your knowledge and have asked for your help in the past and drove 90 miles one way to not only buy some speakers but to get some help from you, and to help you. I do not understand why "constant challenges" would make you want to throw in the towel, and if my questions/comments are perceived as BS then what can I say? You seem to get angry when people may have a different opinion than you or ask you questions. It is not an attack on you, but some of us like facts and data. There is so much audio mumbo-jumbo and snake oil out there makes it essential to support what you say. If one method sounds great to you, and a different method sounds great to me then this is no reason to get upset. Instead, embrace it and encourage the reader to try it and see what he/she thinks.

No hard feelings, and I hope your pops has a speedy recovery.

Ron

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #39 on: March 10, 2012, 12:23:39 PM
Jim,

First and foremost, take care of yourself and your family. Everything else can wait. I'll keep your dad in my prayers.

When things settle down a bit I'd love to read your future installments. I'm going to put together a system very soon and your experiences and tips have been very helpful. Please don't, "throw in the towel." I'm the one that started the first Mac Mini thread, the one that got locked, so needless to say I'm very interested.

One quick question for when you have time. Is there a big downside to using the internal drive that comes with the mini? I'm probably going to do this in steps as finances will allow. Purchasing a SSD and the OS might put me over budget right now. Is it better to wait?

Best Regards,

Tom

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #40 on: March 11, 2012, 06:08:01 AM
Dan, very observant -- the word here is frustrated, not angry or anything like that.

Yoder, sorry, I honestly never in a million years meant to imply that you are the one who sent the nasty-grams -- you weren't; enough said.  As for the statement "who cares what you think" is again poor phrasing on my part and I should have completed my full thought on that.  What I mean is who cares what *anybody* says when it comes to audio as in the end it is such a highly subjective endeavor/pursuit that despite the best intentions of any of who give advice, it is never universal, is always tainted by our individual perceptions and values, as well as other highly variable conditions such as the local power grid, house wiring, RFI environment, and so on.

No, no hard feelings and I'm going to change the title of the thread to more accurately convey what I had in mind.

Also, when I said music server, that is exactly what I mean -- I have zero experience or need for HT, surround sound and all that, I'm strictly a 2-channel audio/music guy.  And again, I don't want to put too fine a point on this, but I know for a fact that there is more going on at Mach2 than you speculate and that is really the limit of what I can say.  But basically what they say publicly is indeed true, but since they don't want to give the shop away, they keep the rest very close to the vest.  Far more than even I am aware of.  Darrel and Kevin are both nice guys with day jobs and they are completely above board when it comes to doing what they do.  In fact they would not do a custom install on my macbook air as they have never tried it and don't have the confidence to say it will work as well, plus the fact that they know, even with their mods, the mba is not a top audio performer, and really, that is what they are about.  And as usual, if you don't think it's worth it or you can do better, that is truly fine -- I found the changes to be rather remarkable.

Hi Tom, yes, you can absolutely start with just a basic mac mini, iTunes, and someting like BitPerf.app to bypass the terrible Quicktime audio playback engine (and also enable on the fly sample rate changes) and turn off some basic OS extras like spotlight, the dashboard, any extraneous interfaces, make some tweaks to iTunes and have a really decent music server.  Upgrade as you go -- that's what I'm doing with my second mini (though I sent the 2011 server back as I didn't need the server software and really want even more horsepower for my desk machine).  I think even something like the BH power cable kit with a C7 connector in place of the IEC would be a nice upgrade over the stock Apple power cord, which is really terrible.  Just leave the earth wiring unterminated at the C7 end and I'll bet anything that you hear a nice difference.  Then, flip the connector around to the other polarity and see if the sound changes, if it does and sounds better one way than the other, then just go with what you like.

The next step would be more memory, the internal SSD and the external FW storage drive (assuming a USB DAC.)

Thanks all for the well wishes afor my dad -- he's 82, in ood shape for his age, still very active, and while this has been something that has been known for sometime, apparently now is the time to move ahead with it.  He's tough -- was a football player for the Merchant Marine Academy and has had total replacements of both hips and knees, so we call him the bionic dad.  He's got great doctors, fantastic hospitals in his area (socal) and my sister and her family are very close by to help out during recovery.

Take care all,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline John Roman

Jim,
I wish your Dad the best for a complete recovery.
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Yoder

Reply #42 on: March 11, 2012, 02:47:37 PM

Is there a big downside to using the internal drive that comes with the mini? I'm probably going to do this in steps as finances will allow. Purchasing a SSD and the OS might put me over budget right now. Is it better to wait?

When money plays a factor in purchasing any Apple product then the first rule of thumb is: "Do not buy any upgrades from Apple that you can get elsewhere, otherwise they will steal you blind." Though I must admit that they have come down considerably in the last two years. I would only do one upgrade when buying a mini and that is to get the i7 processor. The i7 has Power Boost, and hyper-threading and is well worth the $100 in my book. That being said you will get a machine equipped with 4 Gb of RAM. Here is a good link for comparative shopping: http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/ MacMall, the lowest price unless you are an educator, does not have the non-server i7 mini listed so you may want to call them. The educational price for the i7 is $869, plus taxes. My philosophy has always been to go with the "extreme" CPU/motherboard and build on that. Don't buy the Server version of the mini unless you want to spend time hacking the OS to get it to run DVD's, and perform certain other tasks...though a quad i7 would be sweet.

Anyway, I bought the i7 with the standard 500 Gb 5200 rpm drive. I then took it to a certified Apple repair shop and bought and had them install a 64 Gb Corsair SSD. For around $140 they did everything and copied my old drives contents onto the SSD. I kept the 500 Gb drive inside and use it as a back-up drive. My next upgrade it to drop 4 more Gb of RAM in. It does behave oddly after any firmware updates in that it will boot off of the 500 instead of the SSD--I think because I have not locked the System Boot preference window. But, it is really no biggie since it only takes about 15 seconds to boot-up.

Definitely go with a C7 power cord, but good luck in finding the female C7. I have searched all over the world looking for one and found some in the UK. I just got them about a week ago and was disappointed that they were made of a hard plastic and not a hard rubber, but I was happy to see that they were from Japan and not China. Yes, there is the Furutech C7 but it is 1) so bulky that once plugged in you cannot get the network cable into its port, and 2) it is so such a sloppy fit that I am certain that had I used it it the weight of the cable itself would have unseated the plug. Anyway, I bought five of these C7s and only need two. If anyone wants one then PM me and I will figure out the price. I think with my total investment, and shipping them out will bring the price to about $4 a piece. If anyone finds a source for some really good ones, then I would love to know about it.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
I do have a power cord with the furutech c7 connector and it is a modified one that still lets you use the ethernet cable -- there is a thread somewhere on this forum about this where I point this out.  As for the loose fit, I don't have that problem at all with mine.

I also think it is really time for me to toss in the towel here -- just follow Ron's suggestions on his web site and you can finish what I've started -- I don't agree with all of his steps and I'd add a few others, but for the most part all the information should be here.

Ron, I honestly don't know why you continue to post your recommendations that are the polar opposite of mine, but a quad core I7 is absolutely not needed for music playback purposes and may even be a hinderence from the point of power consumption, internal RF noise increase, extra fan on time, etc.  my old, minimal mid 2010 with the i3 processor is far more than enough, but as you for some reason insist on posting recommendations contrary to mine, I'm just done.  This just isn't worth the frustration anymore.

Folks, I still stand totally and completely behind my recommendations and warnings, but in short, any mac mini awith a unibody, whatever processor, internal SSD -- preferrably OCZ vertex 3 or Crucial, external FW drive (oyen or OWC with oxford 834 chipset, 500 gb to 1 tb 5400 rpm external drive and tweaks that Ron and others have outlined elsewhere -- to the os, itunes, etc.  Turn off blue tooth, and wireless if not using an ethernet connection, if the usb port you choose is the same one that the IR Receiver is on, then turn that off as well, and you should be good to go.

If you want to take things further then contact me via email and I can point you to various outbooard dc power supplies (which require a warranty voiding modification to use), special cables, vibration control, and more -- all things I've tried and recommeend without any hesitation.

Sorry, but I'm not going to monitor this thread anymore, but I'm still available via email (please not PM) if anybody wants specific recommendations and the best reasoning I can come up for them when it is something I can explain, all backed up by my several years of messing about with computers of all types for audio player/server purposes, and tested with probably a couple dozen different dacs.  Bottom line is that I use the mac mini as nothing else I've used has even come close, and is also far easier for non computer people to get sounding great.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Yoder

Ron, I honestly don't know why you continue to post your recommendations that are the polar opposite of mine, but a quad core I7 is absolutely not needed for music playback purposes and may even be a hinderence from the point of power consumption, internal RF noise increase, extra fan on time, etc.  

Jim, you are acting paranoid. I said nothing about a "quad core i7" and would not buy the server with the quad. I suggested the consumer i7 that only has two cores. The quad i7 Server cost $999 without any upgrades, and I said "Don't buy the Server...". Also, the duo core i7 is exactly the same as the i5 as it is not the server model and does not have the extra fans and what-not. You blow things out of context and turn it into a personal vendetta. If you were paying attention I prefaced my remark by saying that I like to get the "extreme" when it comes to CPUs, and I do that so that it will be able to keep up with software as it evolves. Since you are always suggesting that all I want to do is correct/challenge you, then let me make one correction: the mini never came out with an i3 core. Mid 2010 was a 2 core duo, and 2011 was i5 or i7.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:44:22 PM by Yoder »