Problem with Paramount v1.1

Roger · 11844

Offline Roger

Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 06:34:17 AM
Roger,

Since I don't own a Paramount I skimmed over the voltage readings.  My bad!  The magnitude of the voltage is inconsequential.  I didn't follow your tracing the signal from input to output.  

The fact that the amp worked after you found an open trace/solder joint means nothing was defective to begin with.  This is a very good thing!

The quick and easy way to check if you have a bad parafeed cap is to take the one from the "good" amp and put it in the "bad" amp.  If that solves the problem look at the outer cover of the "bad" capacitor for damage.  These PP Film caps are very, very rarely bad on installation.  And changing a tube should never damage the cap.  

That is why I'm betting on a missed connection.  That is why my last suggestion was to touch up all the solder joints along the way.

Thanks for the advice Grainger. I have already been over all the solder connections from where I found the problem up to the end of the amp. Everything has been resoldered. I have also checked for wrong connections, but I can't find any. So, I'm running out of options here. I can always try to change the caps, but I have never experienced a film cap being bad.
Roger

Roger
VPI Classic (record player), Trigon advance (RIAA), Electrocompaniet EMC1-up (CD-player), BorderPatrol (line), Paramount v1.1 2A3 (power), Avantgarde Acoustics Duo Grosso (speakers)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 06:40:32 AM
Then...

.  .  .   The fact that the amp worked after you found an open trace/solder joint means nothing was defective to begin with.  This is a very good thing!

The quick and easy way to check if you have a bad parafeed cap is to take the one from the "good" amp and put it in the "bad" amp.  If that solves the problem look at the outer cover of the "bad" capacitor for damage.  These PP Film caps are very, very rarely bad on installation.  And changing a tube should never damage the cap.  .  .  .   

That is the only way I see to nail down the problem.  I've been kit building since 1965. 

Offline Roger

Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 07:55:17 AM
Found the problem. A failed 2A3. A lot of trouble for a trivial problem. But, now everything is working fine, and I learned a lot about this kit during the troubleshooting.
Roger

Roger
VPI Classic (record player), Trigon advance (RIAA), Electrocompaniet EMC1-up (CD-player), BorderPatrol (line), Paramount v1.1 2A3 (power), Avantgarde Acoustics Duo Grosso (speakers)