Tube rolling with the Quickie - observations...

earwaxxer · 11995

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #30 on: September 09, 2012, 04:35:29 AM
That's interesting, the Mullards I got were not very good either. They were far behind the RCAs. I would like to try some from a different source than the first I got. My Teles still had the cellophane on the box, first time I ever saw that.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline tubefrk

Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 08:48:26 AM
Hi all, I got my Mullards and Telefunken's last week. So far as for me, like Eric I was using the RCA's the Mullard's seem to be a bit more laid back. Not badly though, on some of my more aggresive disc's they seem to make more listenable. Overall they are wide deep high and very tube like, gorgeous midrange. I'm going to put some more hours on them before I try the Telefunken's. Mine were for sure NOS still in factory sealed box with wrapers that looked like parchement.

Offline tubefrk

Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 11:43:05 AM
Hey all, I've put about 100 hrs. on the Mullard's. As for me; I don't understand when I hear someone say they can't tell the diffrence after some sort of break in time. I started out thinking they sounded pretty good, they have only gotten better. Anyway I hear all of you talking about the Tele's so i'm going to put a set in tonight. I just love this stuf........  PS    Eric,   I saw the picture of the Quicky with the rubber bands for damping, very cool. My better half wears her hair in a pony- tail for work, and uses these little bungee looking things. I started using these when I first put the Quicky together. I didn't want to tell you guys for fear that you might think I was nuts.   Mike

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 12:20:55 PM
LOL! Thats funny Mike.

Most bottleheaders like to make their kit look good and display it proudly. I can totally understand that. My purpose from the get go was to make it sound as good as possible with very minimal thought to looks. I guess function before form. It works well for me because my Quickie sits on the floor behind my other gear. You can hardly see it from the listening position.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline tubefrk

Reply #34 on: October 07, 2012, 08:12:49 AM
Hi Eric, thanks for the reply,I've got mine on all kinds of Iso. products. I can't sit mine on the floor I've got two down firing fifteens. I'm also up in a loft in a log home. I've aways had a vision of a custume built sound room, Oh well......On to tubes... I have to say when youre right you guys are right. The Tele's right out of the box sounded better, albeit for a slite hummm. I think it drives me nut's because I know it's there. I'll put some more time on them, if they get any better like all the others have {to one extent or another} I'll be a happy camper. I guess this is a little like the girl that lives down the street, youv'e heard she was easy but you don't know until you give it a go......Mike

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 12:31:49 PM
wow - log house - now thats cool! - I cured my hum by following PB's advise - attach a wire to the ground rail, then to your DAC chassis. Hum is gone!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline tubefrk

Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 07:54:13 AM
Hello Eric, Thanks again for the reply. I will try the Ground. As for the Log home, {romantic, warm, homie} now the truth is there is about an hours worth of crying I can tell about living here. If anyone is contemplating moving into or building one, talk to me first. I don't dislike anyone enough not to tell them the truth. {not even a Dematcrat} ops.. no politics or religion, I might have pissed off alot of prspective frends,  Sorry...Mike

Offline bainjs

Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 03:19:33 PM
I've lived in a log home for 14 years and can't imagine living anywhere else.  Comfortable, great on energy costs, and you don't have to look for a stud when hanging a picture...

Sorry you're having problems with yours.

Joel in Tennessee

Joel Bain

Offline tubefrk

Reply #38 on: October 09, 2012, 06:03:02 AM
Hi Joel, I think mayby I'm just getting to fat and old to keep up.  You're right about one thing, no problem finding a stud......Mike