Bucket Sub

M42 · 2853

Offline M42

on: April 04, 2018, 01:55:16 PM
I am wondering if someone might be able to give me some advice. I'd like to build a bucket sub to add to my system...I'm curious as to how it would sound with my FrugelHorns. I have the directions to build the sub, however I've no idea how to wire it into my system.

My thoughts are to utilize both plate amps, if that's practical, and use them to power the subwoofer. They are Dayton SA100's which I believe generate 75w each.

I have done some searching on the web, but have not been able to find anything indicating how one might do this. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jeff Hullin

Stereomour(2A3), Eros, Crack/Speedball, Thorens TD160 MKII, Grace F9E, Sennheiser HD600's, Frugelhorn 3's, DIY 8" Subs.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 04:40:07 PM
Do you want to build one bucket sub or two? 

As far as I remember, the woofer called out for the Bucket Sub is a single voice coil woofer, so using both plate amplifiers isn't going to work.  I'm also of the opinion that 75W for a small sub is a ton of power.

As far as connections go, just run a second set of speaker cables from your Stereomour to the speaker level inputs on the plate amp.  The input impedance on those terminals is sky high, so it won't load the amp down. 

(You want to build two bucket subs, right?)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Karl5150

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 05:29:24 AM
Jeff, I have been thinking of trying the same thing (2 bucket subs, 75-100 W plate amps) for my FH3s.
Currently I use Dayton's 100 W plate amp to run a single 8" sub in my office with a SEX 2.1 wired as Paul suggests. It is decent but inefficient 4 Ohm sub, designed for car stereo, in a small sealed enclosure. The 100 W plate is running almost wide open to blend with the little single driver micro-fonkens, and I'm no bass-head. Just my experience, a more efficient driver in a larger enclosure would no doubt help.
I've poured over the various write-ups, even the nay-sayers, about the bucket sub, and it seems like a no brainer to give it a try for the modest investment. (2 subs + 2 amps)

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 10:21:04 AM
If you have the 2 amps, do build 2 subs. The bucket subs are   Serious overachievers, I dismissed the idea until I was down at Ed's and heard them. I am useing a  variation of them With the Horns and they work very well indeed

John Scanlon

Offline M42

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 02:20:50 PM
Thank you all for your input. I will build two subs as suggested. To add the second set of speaker wires to the Stereomour will four of these splitters be the best way to accomplish this?

Jeff Hullin

Stereomour(2A3), Eros, Crack/Speedball, Thorens TD160 MKII, Grace F9E, Sennheiser HD600's, Frugelhorn 3's, DIY 8" Subs.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 06:05:19 PM
No, speaker level connections require speaker wire.  Just grab some plain old bare speaker wire for the job.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline M42

Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 05:38:09 AM
I'm finally have some time to assemble my bucket sub. I'm wiring the woofer to the binding posts, unfortunately all I have on hand is some 22 gauge hook up wire. Will this suffice, or should a heavier gauge wire be used?

Jeff Hullin

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 05:55:45 AM
You can always double or quadruple the wire. Each time you double the wire the equivalent gauge increases by three, so doubled would = 19 ga., quad = 16 ga.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline M42

Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 06:52:31 AM
Thanks Doc.

Jeff Hullin

Offline M42

Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 09:03:50 AM
I have the bucket sub running and I'm instantly impressed! Well worth the small investment in time and money! This has transformed the sound...I can no longer listen to the FrugelHorns without the sub. It will be interesting to see what the addition of the second sub will do for the sound.

Jeff Hullin