Awwww, c'mon... a power cord? YES.

dstrimbu · 28528

Offline Grainger49

Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 03:42:02 AM
I just found a page from an MCM catalog I tore out.  They have two styles of 90 degree IEC females for the ends of power cords.  One has the cable come out 90 degrees to the short side of the plug, the other comes out 90 degrees from the wide side of the plug.  The part numbers are 28-11500 and 28-11510 respectively.

Both are 10A rated, have screw terminals and a strain relief.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:50:52 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 01:31:55 AM
My Power Cord kits came yesterday.  If things quiet down I will get the assembled and into the system.  I'm awfully eager!

Offline bainjs

Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 06:03:12 AM
I received mine yesterday also and finished them with Carlene's braiding help.  I look forward to trying them out.  I shortened mine by a couple of feet.  Be careful when you shrink the tubing. I came close to melting the wire casing!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:14:10 AM by bainjs »

Joel Bain

Offline Grainger49

Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 06:51:21 AM
Yes, Tech-Flex doesn't like the heat, keep it out of the Kitchen too!

Ok, made my first power cord yesterday got to listen this morning with fresh ears.

I, too, have a problem with melting the Tech-Flex, and with the heat shrink too.  The heat shrink curled back on itself, glue side up, as I tried to apply just a little heat to the edge innermost, on top of the Tech-Flex.  It finally laid back down but I Boogered the Tech-Flex.  I'm going to try something different on the next one.  

I twisted the first red/white pair and started on the second pair.  The first one unraveled some so I left the second pair to "set" for half an hour.  All was well with that one and I went back and fixed the first one, set it, and moved on to the black pair.  I think keeping the wires under tension between the clamp and drill sets the windings.  At least it seem to for me.

I put the new cord on my Eros and fired it up.  Played the same three songs from FM/FM several times making notes.  Then went back to the stock cord and back to the new power cord.  I figured that while everything was just warming up it would sound worse, then the stock cord wouldn't get the short end of the stick, so to speak.

Conclusions:

I'm going to get more.  I will build another for the FP 2 after yard work this afternoon.

Say You Love Me has a banjo on the left channel.  It is just a very subtle accent.  I also hear a guitar lick that I don't remember.  The banjo is not even there with the stock cord and the new guitar line is buried in the mix.

The guitars in Landslide are distinct images.  The low lines are on the right the high line on the left.  It could be a classical guitar for the low parts but is definitely a 6 string acoustic on the left.

The stock cord doesn't localize images nearly as well.  The bass is muddy in comparison, not as easy to follow John McVee's lines.

All in all this is worth the price!  I have an experiment for the next cord.  Pictures to follow.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:06:29 PM by Grainger49 »

4krow

Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 11:10:11 AM
I enjoy building power cords as well Grainger, but my problem is usually finding a female end that has the best grip/construction. One thing I used to do was buy both ends that were 20 amp. types. The difference is in the 'bite'. Of course, that means you get to change out any recepticle on the equipment you are using to 20 amp. as well. I think that it is worth it. On the other hand, if you have found the cord you will live with forever, why not just hardwire it in?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 12:07:43 PM
I built a shielded Power Cord for my Foreplay.  I had some braided shield so why not?  Here is the link:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,2890.new.html#new
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:28:22 PM by Grainger49 »